Can Sun-Dried Tomatoes be Frozen to Prolong Shelf-Life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive been drying tomatoes all season long.
I like them ' almost' dried. In other words, not crispy, but with a little plumpness to them.
For immediate use, I like to marinate them with oil and garlic, but over a little time it could get a little rancid, so I only do it with a portion that I know will be used up during that week.

That leaves me with a decent amount of dried tomatoes that are waiting their turn to get eaten.

I was wondering if I could freeze the rest and defrost them as I need them with out an major taste or consistency change.

I have more than enough to do a trial attempt, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience before I tried.

We make oven dried tomatoes, divide them into meal portions and freeze. They have been coated in olive oil. dried basil and PR the laid out on a rack, then placed in a 200F oven until they are mostly dried out. They still have a bit of moisture when cooled and bagged. We don't vacuum seal them, they just get placed in quart freezer bags. Of the sun dried tomatoes I've had, I think these are much better. I'll eat them as a snack.

Last edited:
I bought 5 lbs a few weeks ago that still had a little moisture left in them. Some folks here suggested freezing them. I froze some in sandwich bags and seems to have worked out just fine.

I've frozen them from year to year, dry, without oil. I've made sauce from them, just fill up a blender half way with water, add in the frozen dried tomatoes, blend, and voila, sauce, and often almost like paste.

Thanks guys, looks like into the freezer they go !!!

A few years ago, I found a container of them pushed to the back of the fridge, that had molded up a bit. Dont want that to happen again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom