Saturday, 8.27.16, what ya eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice meals everybody! I spent too much time dealing with the garden veggies and a friend came over because gf figured we should renovate the guest bathroom right away. I guess we don't have enough to do:wacko:
We ordered pizza at 8:30

Last night I had a great meal to make up for my first night in Savannah. I went to a restaurant that I had been to a few years ago, and ordered the 'chef's table' with wine flights. I will bore you with pictures.

First was a plate of warm, seeded bread, served with shredded asiago, pepper & oil. I tried not to eat too much so I could save room for the meal, but a girl's only so strong.

IMG_1065.jpg

First wine was a prosecco.

Next came a ramekin with a poached egg, topped with a mousseline of day scallops, gratineed and topped with capers.

IMG_1066.jpg

Wine for the next course was a beautifully oaked chardonnay.

Black rice canelle, grilled shrimp (great char), with an asparagus & dandelion puree, cilantro garnish.

IMG_1067.jpg

The Schug Pinot Noir that came next was my favorite.
It was paired to braised pork cheek over Carolina Gold rice grits. The cheek was braised in Thai flavors with just a bit of heat at the end. This was one of my favorite dishes of the night.

IMG_1068.jpg

When the Sauternes arrived, I had a hunch what was coming next!
Seared fois gras with fennel ice cream. The meat pan had been deglazed with a caramel, and that was served as the sauce. My other favorite of the night!

IMG_1070.jpg

Next up - a Zinfndel. This went with a pair of frenched baby lamb chops, potato gratined with goat cheese, grilled asparagus and a demi glass.

IMG_1072.jpg

Eventually we got to dessert, served with framboise.

Baked Alaska with fresh berries and two sauces; a creme anglais and a caramel. This need two pictures - one outside and one inside.

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Final bill - dinner, wine, tax, tip, parking $200 for one person!
You only live once!

Last edited:
Well hot is what men like it here when it comes to food , I and the daughter goes for milder.

Wow, Silversage, that all sounds and looks amazing! And at only $200, I think you got a bargain! Glad you got to make up for the lousy food the first day.

SS, I would dearly love to have that dinner experience and for me it would be worth the price. Thanks for including that info.
Can you tell us the name of the place in case I ever get back to lovely Savannah?

Last night I had a great meal to make up for my first night in Savannah. I went to a restaurant that I had been to a few years ago, and ordered the 'chef's table' with wine flights. I will bore you with pictures....

Final bill - dinner, wine, tax, tip, parking $200 for one person!
You only live once!
I love places with tasting menus! And $200 for an occasional indulgence isn't all that much. I do the same thing myself a few times a year.

I love places with tasting menus! And $200 for an occasional indulgence isn't all that much. I do the same thing myself a few times a year.

We went to Morimoto's with my brother and his wife in Philly, and got the tasting menu. Cost me over $500 for 4 of us, but so worth it. We sat up at the counter, and Morimoto himself was cooking!

Steve: that will be made, when my friend come over, because he live not far from one of the best chili shops here, how ever I will see if the food festival has any chilis this year.

Thank you Kay, CG, and kgirl. :) Dry scallops and a hot CI pan with just the lightest coat of oil, and they let me know when they're seared and ready to flip.

Silversage, what an elegant and delicious looking meal! :yum:

Mashed potato, walleye, and tomato pizza.

img_1477939_0_52a9624442c46ccf542e0a10bc4fe37f.jpg

img_1477939_1_86241841b15adfaa627494a9685b592a.jpg

I'll add my "lovely dinner" comment about your dinner, too, SS. I'm very happy that the food didn't slid off of your plates, seeing as how it was sideways and all. ;)

I have the same problem with photos, on occasion. Himself said it's how I hold my camera. I suppose there's a trick there someone, but I'm still deleting and re-shooting photos often.

SS, I would dearly love to have that dinner experience and for me it would be worth the price. Thanks for including that info.
Can you tell us the name of the place in case I ever get back to lovely Savannah?

It's called the Sapphire Grill. If you are familiar with Savannah, it's 2 doors down from Paula Deen's place. Funny thing; when we were there a few years ago, Deen's had a line down the block and around the corner to get in. We had to elbow our way through that line to get into the Sapphire. This time, her place wasn't busy at all.

The Sapphire Grill

When we were there last time, there was a young woman Chef d' Cuisine named Brandy. She came out to greet us after the meal. Last night I learned that she is no longer there - she is now the Executive Chef at another local restaurant, Local Eleven-10. Guess where I'm going tomorrow night!

I have the same problem with photos, on occasion. Himself said it's how I hold my camera. I suppose there's a trick there someone, but I'm still deleting and re-shooting photos often.

That reminds me - it happened to me last week when I took photos in portrait rather than landscape mode (which I don't do often). I opened them in a photo editor and saved them to a different file and it posted correctly.

Back
Top Bottom