Curly leaf lettuce is better than spinach!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
BW was under the weather the other day, so I graciously volunteered to prepare dinner.. (I'm just that kind of a nice guy!) :)

Looking for something for a side dish, I found the cupboard rahter bare. But there was a large head of "curly leaf lettuce" (a loose variety of Crsiiphead" lettuce of which Iceberg is perhaps most familiar). This is not a variety of lettuce we normally have, as I have long preferred iceberg. Or so I thought.

So I simply steamed a batch of it just as I would spinach.

Imagine our surprice when it turned out tasting much like spinach, but a bit milder, with not even a hint of bitterness (which I can't abide!) and a pleasant crunchiness at the stem ends., not stringy like spinach stems. (Yes, I know one should remove spinach stems, but I'm unherently lazy).

I suppose the rest of the world has long been aware of this, but it was new to us. And something we will enjoy frequently.

hi oldcoot,
i'm glad your experiment turned out so well, but if I have to list everything that's better than spinach, this is going to turn into a REALLY long thread
(item #1: dirty dish-water, item #2: mud...)
:D

ROFL - I knew you would have a thing or two to say about this carnivore!!

oldcoot - sounds really, really good - I'll have to dry it sometime. I heard you could cook it but I never believed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom