What's your dinner bell ringing for Monday, 9-19-2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Banh mi sammies with Asian-spiced pork meatballs from the freezer, a slaw of carrot and daikon, and sriracha mayo. We're using media noche bread so guess we're having a fusion meal. :ROFLMAO: I might even make up some homemade potato chips if I get motivated in a bit.

Fusion here too, Medtran. I guess you can call it that, it's nothing like Texan or Cincinnati. Made Mexican chili. It started out as taco meat, but as is my wont, I kept adding stuff. And as usual, it grew out of the pot, so we have enough for a couple more days. Turned out really good, though I'll never be able to replicate it.

Last edited:
Swedish pasta sauce with ground beef and pasta. Or as my husband calls it spagbol.

Something with a turkey roast, have not thought that far ahead. Just woke up, need to get into the yard before it gets dark.

I'm thinking a mushroom gravy and taters for Shrek.

I still haven't "woke up" yet, PF, and I've been up for hours and hours...:LOL:

Comfort food here tonight. Ham, fresh green beans, and pasta and cheese. I'm thinking the shape of the day will be campanelle. All of those curls for the cheese sauce. Mmmmmm :yum:

Chicken with pickled peppers, Kalamata olives and shallots. I'll have mine over rice and SO will have hers with cauli mash.

DD won't be home from work till after 9:30pm so not sure if she will get something on the way home. I made a late lunch of potato, mushroom and onion egg scramble. If she didn't eat I'll throw something together for us or I will have cereal or cottage cheese with peaches.

I heated up a quart of chicken chile verde from the freezer and served it over mixed rice. Nice, easy dinner since I still have this dang cold.

Blackened black grouper with Cajun crab sauce and Bok choy and coconut shrimp ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1474330536.423203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I defrosted an eye-round roast, 1.6 lbs. First time trying at 500F. 3 minutes per pound, then, turning off the oven and leaving it in for 2-3 hours. I heavily coated it with salt, coarse pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. I set a rack in the dish. As a precaution, I'm using an oven thermometer stuck into the roast. It'll alert me at 120F. I'll cover it afterwards removing, which should raise the temp to a final 130F (rare - medium). Next time I may use a mustard rub, as some have mentioned here, in order to get a nice black spicy crust. :chef:

Last edited:
I defrosted an eye-round roast, 1.6 lbs. First time trying at 500F.

It came out fantastic. I'm doing eye round roasts this way from now on. Eye round isn't supposed to be tender, but it came out that way. I was surprised at how little juice was left in the bottom of the pan afterwards. I'm guessing all that juice was locked in, making it cook tender and juicy. I took it out when the inner temp reached 130F. It reached 135F after resting, covered. I'me very pleased with the result.

roast.jpg

Here's the YouTube video I used. : :yum:

[youtube]TCHCjkLc4rM?rel=0[/youtube]

Last edited:
It came out fantastic. I'm doing eye round roasts this way from now on. Eye round isn't supposed to be tender, but it came out that way. I was surprised at how little juice was left in the bottom of the pan afterwards. I'm guessing all that juice was locked in, making it cook tender and juicy. I took it out when the inner temp reached 130F. It reached 135F after resting, covered. I'me very pleased with the result.

roast.jpg

Here's the YouTube video I used. : :yum:

[youtube]TCHCjkLc4rM?rel=0[/youtube]

Beautiful roast!

Eye round is my favorite roast. Always tender. I calculate 15 minutes per pound. Rub with oil and seasoning. Place round rack in a cast iron pan roast fat side up. 500F for first 15 min. Lower to 350F. Cook remaining calculated time or pull at 120F internal temp. Let rest 15 minutes. Perfect tender medium rare.

I'm glad I used my wired oven thermometer. My small 1.6 lb. eye-round roast took only about 50 minutes (not hours) to reach 130F using that YouTube method. Wired oven thermometers are great! (P.S. I used less coarse ground pepper than in the video).

roast11.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom