Need advice.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I need a new printer. I have a Lexmark but the ink cartridge price is ridiculous!!

I am thinking of getting an Epsom Eco Tank.

Any thoughts?

$300 for a printer?? And that's for black-only printing. The color one is $400! No way, says I.

Just for fun, I did a comparison of that printer with the current version of what I have, the HP Photosmart Plus. The one you linked to does not print photos, if that's important to you.

I get my printer cartridges at a discount from a place that refills them. The printer complains, but it works anyway.

Product Detail - Compare Page

Edit to add: The one I have is $81 locally. They price-match it, so you have to put in some info in order to see the price. btw, I've had mine for several years now and it works great.

Last edited:
Ms M, so good to see you! I have missed being around.

This looks like an excellent printer. We dealt with Epson for many years and TB referred his customers (when he sold computers) to Epson. We recently went back to HP but to be honest I am not happy with either printer we have.

The fact you get that much ink and the refills are affordable sounds great. Epson usually backs up their word as well. The prices for each level of features also sound decent.

If you do get one, please let me know what you think!

$300 for a printer?? And that's for black-only printing. The color one is $400! No way, says I.

Just for fun, I did a comparison of that printer with the current version of what I have, the HP Photosmart Plus. The one you linked to does not print photos, if that's important to you.

I get my printer cartridges at a discount from a place that refills them. The printer complains, but it works anyway.

Product Detail - Compare Page

The reason I said the prices are decent is you are getting up to 2 years of ink. Most cartridge printers come with factory cartridges that only have a limited amount of ink and then the cartridges are grossly overpriced.

Yes, you can do refills (which I never have but may start) and that does save money.

Actually GG, the 299 one does print colour and photos. I think the word "black" is meant that the printer is black.

Last edited:
Did you actually read the description?

"Epson Expression EcoTank All-in-One Printer: This wireless, all-in-one printer comes with up to 2 years of ink¹ and lets you print up to 4,000 black/6,500 color pages.² Plus, the replacement ink bottles are affordable and you can print from your tablet or smartphone."

I tried knock off ink with the Lexmark and it's rigged so you can ONLY use Lexmark ink or the printer head will need to be replaced. I tried several different knock offs with the same result.

Last edited:
Ms M, so good to see you! I have missed being around.

This looks like an excellent printer. We dealt with Epson for many years and TB referred his customers (when he sold computers) to Epson. We recently went back to HP but to be honest I am not happy with either printer we have.

The fact you get that much ink and the refills are affordable sounds great. Epson usually backs up their word as well. The prices for each level of features also sound decent.

If you do get one, please let me know what you think!
Glad to see you also!! I don't post often due to pain typing.

I like Epson also because you can use knock off ink without any issues. I got the Lexmark because at the time Epson didn't have a paper draw and couldn't do double sided printing. The stand up paper feed was always getting jammed. My DD had to do ALOT of printing for school and having to deal with the jams and the odd/even flip printing got to be a PAIN.

Last edited:
The link I posted should take you to a page with 7 printers and ink refills on it.

I have an HP Envy. Slow as molasses in January, but I find the ink cartridges affordable, and the website has free shipping. I can print from my iPad too.

Did you actually read the description?

"Epson Expression EcoTank All-in-One Printer: This wireless, all-in-one printer comes with up to 2 years of ink¹ and lets you print up to 4,000 black/6,500 color pages.² Plus, the replacement ink bottles are affordable and you can print from your tablet or smartphone."

I tried knock off ink with the Lexmark and it's rigged so you can ONLY use Lexmark ink or the printer head will need to be replaced. I tried several different knock offs with the same result.

Well, no, the page you linked to had several printers on it and I didn't know which one you were referring to.

As I said, I have had no problem with refilling ink cartridges for my HP,and it prints from any other device as well.

$300 is a lot of money upfront. If that's what you want to do, go for it :)

I don't need color. My black ink only Canon printer rocks. I think I paid under $40 for it a couple of years ago and still running the original freebie ink cartridge that came with the unit. And replacement cartridges on Ebay are dirt cheap. I bought 2 cartridges to have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom