Hello from a Guernsey Donkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artiegee

Assistant Cook
Hi Folks,
This is my first post. I live in Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel some 70 miles south of England and 30 miles west of Normandy, France. I am retired and have 4 married daughters and 4 grandchildren.
Every fortnight I have them all round for Sunday Dinner so I am well used to catering for 14 people. Christmas however always raises a problem as this is the time I also provide a starter along with main course and pudding and it is this starter that causes me a headache!
Two do not eat mushrooms, three do not eat fish, two do not eat cheese and one does not eat eggs or liver. Obviously I have problem to find something they will all enjoy and for once I would like to do something other than soup.
If you have any ideas to help me with this starter problem I would be very grateful to receive them

Hi and welcome!

First, in the US, our definition of starters might be a little different than yours. Dinner parties I've hosted for holiday meals (or for our cooking club) typically consist of four courses: appetizers/hors d'oeuvres, the soup or salad course (rarely both), the entrée, and a dessert or cheese course at the end.

If you are serving informal appetizers and finger foods before sitting down at the table, then there are many options. You could serve crudités with a dipping sauce, or any number of skewered meat/veg combinations.

If what you are referring to is the first course at the table, in the US we usually offer some sort of salad or soup. Since you mention wanting to do something other than soup, then maybe a nice selection of field greens and vegetables with a couple of different dressing options might be the way to go.

Hi and welcome to DC.

For starters, you could serve prosciutto wrapped either with melon or cooked and chilled asparagus.

Thin slice some courgette / zucchini, or cucumber, lay on a thin slice of ham, top with a dollop of guacamole, and a sprinkle parsley or green onion or slivers of jalapeno peppers and a half a cherry tomato.

Depending on the main course, either chicken or beef yakitori skewers, add a spicy sauce.

I don't see salad as one of your menu courses. A nice green salad with something seasonally red added, and it's what I'd do --pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, chilled beet slices, baby tomatoes, and a homemade vinaigrette.

Welcome to DC. As you can see there are many folks here eager to off their help and suggestions.

I am under the impression that Guernsey belongs to France for some strange reason. Or that it did and now is part of England.

I love Guernsey cows. There used to be a few Jersey dairy's milking cows for a hobby and selling the milk but they are long gone now. I used to live in dairy country but all the dairy's are gone. Everyone has gone to beef cattle and chicken houses. It's a shame.

As far as I'm concerned the people you host should not influence what you cook. If they don't like what's in the "starter" they don't have to eat it. If I am a guest at someone's table I eat what is served to me and thank my host. If I were allergic to something in the dish I would say that I was allergic. IMO a guest has no right to demand what is served. I consider it rude.

Hi, Artiegee! I don't have any advice for your dilemma, but want to welcome you to Discuss Cooking. :flowers: Look around at the forums and jump on in! :)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for your words of welcome and advice.
In regards to two posts I must say that the Guernsey cow is a lovely beast, quiet and docile providing beautiful golden milk butter and cheese along with tasty beef.
As for Guernsey being part of France - well - around 1000ad it was part of the Duchy of Normandy and Duke William fell out with Harold the English king and we invaded England in 1066 where Harold was defeated at Hastings. William became king of England and so we became part of his new kingdom. Basically although Normandy was later lost to France we remained attached to U.K. as "Crown Protectorate" so Guernsey is totally independent of the UK and the EU . We have our own parliament called The States of Deliberation we pass our own laws, taxes etc and our loyalty is only to the Queen and not UK.
During the 1939 to 45 war we were the only bit of British territory occupied by the Germans and after D day and the Normandy landings suffered much hardship and food deprivation due to still being occupied by the German forces until May 9 1945
Enough!
A good story written about this time has been written by an American author titled "The Guernsey litterary and potato peel society"

I'm new to this cooking board and I think I am already lost. I joined today thinking I would be joining in the discussion on the air fryer forum. But that forum doesn't appear to be active anymore. Help! please. Thanks.
CB

Back
Top Bottom