Breadcrumbs for breading meat, fish, vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I occasionally like to do breaded meat, fish, and certain vegetables, and over the years I've developed the following recipe that does very well:

Stale bread, cubed and lightly toasted
dried mixed herbs
garlic powder
grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

This is so easy! Put the toasted bread cubes in the food processor, and blend until you have fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the other ingredients. That's it.
you can make your own flavoured breadcrumbs this way. My OH likes them done this way.:)

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I agree. I always buy my plain unseasoned bread crumbs and add my own seasoning. I use Parmesan and Romano cheese in mine and LOTS of herbs and spices. I like to know what's in there.

I keep Progresso Seasoned crumbs on hand. I just added freshly grated cheese, depending on what I am breading. I never put cheese on fish or seafood.

We use unseasoned Panko crumbs most often and season to what we are making. We also use cracker crumbs (Ritz blitzed in the food processor) for most "breaded" seafood or fritters.

We use unseasoned Panko crumbs most often and season to what we are making. We also use cracker crumbs (Ritz blitzed in the food processor) for most "breaded" seafood or fritters.

I guess my taste buds are way off. I find Ritz crackers are just too sweet. I don't even buy them for snacking .

When bread is starting to go stale I freeze it for use later as bread crumbs or french toast.

Same here.

And just because the Italians don't eat cheese with seafood doesn't mean it's not allowed :ROFLMAO: I've been thinking about making a delicious dish I had in a restaurant once - Greek shrimp baked in tomato sauce and feta.

Same here.

And just because the Italians don't eat cheese with seafood doesn't mean it's not allowed :ROFLMAO: I've been thinking about making a delicious dish I had in a restaurant once - Greek shrimp baked in tomato sauce and feta.

I'm Italian and I don't follow that rule either. I put Parmesan and Romano on white clam sauce, in stuffed clams and also in my crumbs for breeding fish. Not sure why some people don't but we like cheese with fish.

Also mac and cheese with tuna. I have never had a tuna melt but I hear it's good.

To each their own.

Your Greek dish sounds good.

I'm Italian and I don't follow that rule either. I put Parmesan and Romano on white clam sauce, in stuffed clams and also in my crumbs for breeding fish. Not sure why some people don't but we like cheese with fish.

Also mac and cheese with tuna. I have never had a tuna melt but I hear it's good.

To each their own.

A tuna melt is to die for...

I like to cut bread, sprinkle some good love oil, seasoning that you like, mix well and into oven it goes. When good and dried. Put into food processor and grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

To each their own.

I just grew up not putting cheese on sea products. In fact I will even forget to put it on pasta with meatballs. I just love those folks who live with very strict (in their mind only) food rules. "Oh, you should never put blah, blah, blah on that!" That is when I just pile it on sometimes to the point of ruining the dish.

If I am eating at someone's home and they offer the cheese to me, I will take just enough to be polite.

I just grew up not putting cheese on sea products. In fact I will even forget to put it on pasta with meatballs. I just love those folks who live with very strict (in their mind only) food rules. "Oh, you should never put blah, blah, blah on that!" That is when I just pile it on sometimes to the point of ruining the dish.

If I am eating at someone's home and they offer the cheese to me, I will take just enough to be polite.

:LOL: Oh, you're funny. Where is the "thumb up" emoji, when you need one? ;)
I know how you feel. It may no tbe "classical" way to cook or serve the dish, but what the .... it's your dish, you are cooking, you are going to be eating, you do what you want. My youngest daughter, doesn't eat pizza with cheese, go figure. Whenever I make Pizza I have to make one for her without cheese, and no it cannot be plain bread, she wants pizza. :) (sorry, kind of went of topic)

:LOL: Oh, you're funny. Where is the "thumb up" emoji, when you need one? ;)
I know how you feel. It may no tbe "classical" way to cook or serve the dish, but what the .... it's your dish, you are cooking, you are going to be eating, you do what you want. My youngest daughter, doesn't eat pizza with cheese, go figure. Whenever I make Pizza I have to make one for her without cheese, and no it cannot be plain bread, she wants pizza. :) (sorry, kind of went of topic)

Charlie, my youngest son Poo doesn't like any tomato sauce on his. In these parts, it is called a while pizza. He has never like tomato or tomato anything like pasta sauce on anything.

Panko definitely tastes better, But I find that it doesn't give me that really thick coat of breading that I like. If I do a second round of egg and Panko, most of the Panko from the first round falls off.

Anyone care to offer a solution?

In reply to Addie: that's exactly what it's called in Itay - la pizza bianca. In fact, many dishes without tomatoes carry that description: bianco. Sorry to divert the thread

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar wilde

Panko definitely tastes better, But I find that it doesn't give me that really thick coat of breading that I like. If I do a second round of egg and Panko, most of the Panko from the first round falls off.

Anyone care to offer a solution?

For your 1st coating, try using Panko that has been crushed smaller, or even just go with the regular breading.
Then use regular Panko for your 2nd coating.

You could also refrigerate for 10 minutes or more between coatings. Makes preparation a bit longer but helps to set the egg and crumb.
You are already timing it in advance, it just means to add another 10 or 15 minutes to your prep.

I'm sure this is not news to you (but just in case)... Always be sure to let your final breading "set" by refrigerating approx 20 minutes. Whether or not it is 1 or 2 coats. This helps to prevent all your hard work from staying behind in the pan.

I like fresh bread crumbs so I just run a few slices of bread through my food processor with the grating attachment installed.

Since I don't eat bread, I use the low carb version of bread crumbs: pork rinds run through a food processor.

Yeah, I used to think it sounded weird, but I'm a convert. The flavor and texture is almost identical to bread crumbs on fried foods such fish and chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom