Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Trying to create solutions to cooking problems (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/trying-to-create-solutions-to-cooking-problems-97185.html)

Zagut 12-20-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1492881)
I agree, but if you wrap it in that fashion (wax paper and freezer bag), if you don't use it often it will get freezer burn.

Freezer burn is why I invested in a vacuum sealer. :wink:

I believe it's paid for itself by keeping things longer then simply wrapping and tossing in the freezer. It allows for longer term storage for those items not used so often IMO. :chef:

I've been very pleased with the quality of those "discovered" items keeping their freshness.


But this leads to another request from The Cooker Man. :rolleyes:

Develop a vacuum sealer at a price point lower then a chamber vacuum that can handle wet products to be sealed without pre freezing.
And if you can lower the cost of the bags/wrap you've got a winner.

Cookie, (I'm going to start using Buckytoms nickname because I like it. ) I think you'll find you have a treasure trove of requests here so please ask away as to what the people here want.

But don't forget we aren't right in the head here and you might get answers you never expected. :lol:

And always remember that a thread here is never drifted. :mrgreen:

The cooker man 12-21-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 1492754)
A good one came up today that I thought was in the spirit of this thread, Cookie.

How about making a powerful blender with a glass container and all metal components, that operates fairly quiet.

Maybe a blender with a coping or housing that cuts down on noise much like a dishwasher. Or one that emits noise cancellation.

Whaddya think?


I see what you're saying, there are motors now which are much quieter, so this shouldn't be too difficult. Is the noise a big issue would you say? I know they can be pretty loud can't they.

CraigC 12-21-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagut (Post 1492926)
Freezer burn is why I invested in a vacuum sealer. :wink:

I believe it's paid for itself by keeping things longer then simply wrapping and tossing in the freezer. It allows for longer term storage for those items not used so often IMO. :chef:

I've been very pleased with the quality of those "discovered" items keeping their freshness.


But this leads to another request from The Cooker Man. :rolleyes:

Develop a vacuum sealer at a price point lower then a chamber vacuum that can handle wet products to be sealed without pre freezing.
And if you can lower the cost of the bags/wrap you've got a winner.

Cookie, (I'm going to start using Buckytoms nickname because I like it. ) I think you'll find you have a treasure trove of requests here so please ask away as to what the people here want.

But don't forget we aren't right in the head here and you might get answers you never expected. :lol:

And always remember that a thread here is never drifted. :mrgreen:

I agree but the post I was referring to used wax paper and zip lock bag. Are you individually vacuum sealing portions, as was suggested in 1TBS sizes. If so, do you think it is less expensive than a tube, given the cost of time and bag(s).

buckytom 12-21-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The cooker man (Post 1492979)
I see what you're saying, there are motors now which are much quieter, so this shouldn't be too difficult. Is the noise a big issue would you say? I know they can be pretty loud can't they.


I guess some folks might like a quieter blender. The noise would seem to come from the motor, the bearings, and of course the blades. Motors and bearings can be made quieter, or can have some sound proofing or noise cancelling. Maybe a different type of blade, or blade configuration can further reduce noise?

Zagut 12-21-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1492980)
I agree but the post I was referring to used wax paper and zip lock bag. Are you individually vacuum sealing portions, as was suggested in 1TBS sizes. If so, do you think it is less expensive than a tube, given the cost of time and bag(s).

I wasn't so much referring to freezing tomato paste as I was to the extended time vacuum sealing gives you as a protection against burn.

But I do freeze things in single portions all the time.
A cup of stock, a bowl of soup or chili, casseroles, burgers, and sausage patties to name a few.

I've never sat down and crunched the actual numbers but I believe it has saved me in the long run by being able to keep things longer in the freezer and not having to toss them.

The plastic isn't the cheapest but I buy by the roll so as to custom fit the bag to what I think I'll need.
That's why I asked Cookie if he could develop cheaper ones. :wink:
I want to believe that leaving headroom in the bag so as to reseal it once you pull out what you need to use it many times for the smaller items costs less then tossing good food because it didn't freeze well.

As far as time goes..... It really isn't a big deal. I'll tell you how I'd freeze a TBS of tomato paste from a larger can then I need at the moment for future use.

Get a cookie sheet.
Line it with wax paper.
Plop on TBS at a time until the sheet is covered. An ice tray might be good here?
Throw the sheet into the freezer and let it freeze.
Take frozen blobs of paste and put into a freezer bag that I left enough room to re seal as many times as I guesstimated I'd have to. :rolleyes:

I have to add that some of the "older" things I discovered and had for a meal were very good but would have been burned beyond edibility without the vacuum seal. :chef:

Andy M. 12-21-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1492881)
I agree, but if you wrap it in that fashion (wax paper and freezer bag), if you don't use it often it will get freezer burn. If I'm going to make red sauce with one or more of those 5# cans of tomatoes, I do buy the paste in the cans.

I portion leftover paste on a plate and freeze them. Then I pop them into a plastic bag and freeze them. Freezer burn has never been an issue.

jennyema 12-21-2016 07:15 PM

I'm really lazy but then I have time for things that are more fun.

Spoon leftover tomato paste into a ziplock freezer bag. Squish flat and firm into a rectangle approx 1/4 inch thick.

Throw into the freezer.

Break off what you need.

Kayelle 12-21-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyema (Post 1493042)
I'm really lazy but then I have time for things that are more fun.

Spoon leftover tomato paste into a ziplock freezer bag. Squish flat and firm into a rectangle approx 1/4 inch thick.

Throw into the freezer.

Break off what you need.

+1
I can't see messing around with a machine for a few dabs of tomato paste!
To be honest I almost always throw the food budget to the wind and buy tube paste.:rofl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.