Chocolate coated orange peel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
In a recent trip to the North GA mountains, my wife and I went into a chocolate shop. They had the chocolate coated orange peels. they were phenomenal. I recently peeled a large orange, took the pith off the peel and froze it waiting to have time to try this.

Has anyone every made them?
There are several recipes out there but wanted to see if you guys have done this before.

Hal

Interesting timing on this post as I am making Candied orange rind tonight. When dried it will be dipped in chocolate. I'm betting the ones you had were candied before dipping too.

Interesting timing on this post as I am making Candied orange rind tonight. When dried it will be dipped in chocolate. I'm betting the ones you had were candied before dipping too.

Care to share the recipe. The other day I ran across one on FB, but it did not look promising.

Here's what I did for 6 large oranges and it was delicious.

Peel oranges and trim off most of white pith. I did this by slicing through peel on navel oranges with a paring knife into about 8 segments (vertically) and then removing them. Lay them on a flat board and 'fillet' off the pith. You want just a little pith left on.

Next slice segments in to thin strands 1/4 inch or narrower.

Place in a few cups of water in sauce pan and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and repeat twice more bringing to a full boil for 5 minutes each time. This removes bitterness from peel and jump starts cooking - do not skip.

Candy:

3 C sugar
1.5 C water
juice of 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick.

Bring this to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes. Add drained peel and reboil, stirring occasionally. Cook until peel becomes translucent. This took about 25 minutes but I think it might take less time or a little more time depending on the variety of orange.

Remove from pan - use tongs and save the sugar syrup. It's delicious and would be great in drinks, etc. Separate orange pieces and let cool on wire racks for a few minutes. Roll in granulated sugar and place on racks to dry. This will need to air dry for at least 24 hours.

Dipping in chocolate: Only after slices are fully dried... Melt chocolate bits (60 percent cocoa) and dip one end of each slice into chocolate - dry on rack.

Some hints:

• Place your racks on parchment in a sheet pan, so you can move them around easily during drying and to contain sugar mess.
  • For boiling in sugar: use a pan a little deeper than mine - it splatters a fine mist of sugar and taller sides would be easier to clean up.

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0404.jpg

peel.jpg

Hi Janet I did almost the exact same process. Mine were very good too. the only issue I had was dipping in chocolate. My recipe called for Bitter sweet chips to be melted and dip the peel in. but it did not coat well and wanted to clump. (I am not much of a candy maker!) Then I tried to make a Ganache which made them nice and shinning but still was difficult to get the chocolate on. Any tricks on this you can share?

Hal

Hi Janet I did almost the exact same process. Mine were very good too. the only issue I had was dipping in chocolate. My recipe called for Bitter sweet chips to be melted and dip the peel in. but it did not coat well and wanted to clump. (I am not much of a candy maker!) Then I tried to make a Ganache which made them nice and shinning but still was difficult to get the chocolate on. Any tricks on this you can share?

Hal

I'm not sure why you might have had issues unless perhaps you got a drop of water in the chocolate while melting. Here's a little chocolate melting help: How to Melt Chocolate Chips: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I used chocolate bits, melted for dipping. No additions to the chocolate - just melt slowly, stirring until smooth. Dip one end and then set to dry on wax paper (which takes an hours or two).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom