Leftover Chateaubriand What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I made this magnificent reversed seared Chateaubriand new yeas's eve. I cooked it to perfection, but whatever was I thinking? The roast was over 3 lbs of solid meat and I'm just 1 little person. I will not tell you what the dang thing cost

The roast came out beautiful and I browned it to perfection. It is amazingly tender but it doesn't have a strong beefy flavor because a tenderloin has no fat.

I've eaten it for 3 days in a row. I've enjoyed it but I have 2 lbs left. Can I freeze it? I'm thinking of cutting it into 1" steaks, putting them in to a zip lock bag, sucking out as much air as I can and sticking them in the freezer. Is that the best way?

You can freeze it. One way to deal with it later is to make beef gravy and reheat the meat in it. Cut a serving portion into short strips and heat them in the gravy. Serve with noodles or rice or pasta and a veg.

You can also chop some up, mix it with some barbecue sauce and make a sandwich. Or make a quesadilla by mixing chopped meat with red or green salsa for the filling and garnishing as usual.

I know it was expensive but I have several suggestions for you.
1) cut it into chunks and make a nice tender beef stew then freeze in portions.
2) cut into chunks and braise in beef broth till tender then freeze in portions to be used for recipes

3) make a beef vegetable barley soup and freeze in portions

Last edited:
What to do?

I'm having the same problem with a beef rib roast. I'm planning on freezing the leftovers after three days. Three pounds is two pounds too much for us.

Yes, your method sounds just fine.

Last edited:
I would invest in a vacuum sealer thing if you do this enough to warrant one. Then freeze away like a White Walker.

When defrosted (or even now) I'd take a chunk and make Steak Kew, or a NJ beefsteak sandwich (thinly sliced tenderloin on a piece of sliced and toasted baguette that's been dipped in clarified butter - roasted garlic optional).

I'm drooling thinking about it.

I agree with others, cut it into the shapes most useful to you and freeze it in meal sized portions. I would not overthink the freezing, for me the key is to work the frozen leftovers into your meals and use them up within a month to six weeks.

Try some of your leftover beef in a stir fry recipe like Broccoli and Beef, you will need to change up the recipe a bit to just warm the thawed beef instead of actually cooking it.

Save all of the ugly little scraps, mince them and freeze them to add to a small pot of vegetable beef soup, made with some bouillon cubes or canned beef broth or use them to make roast beef hash.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We use leftovers for beef pot pie or cottage pie, or for sammies as BT suggested.

Slice it thin for sandwiches (there's nothing better than a roast beef sandwich with gravy poured over it) or slice it thick for breakfast steak and eggs. You can also cube or chop some for a beef and cheese omelette. Add peppers and mushrooms and make a fritatta in a cast iron skillet. As you can see, I am big on brunch!

I had a lovely leftover venison steak. I made a salad with spring mix greens, roasted walnuts, bleu cheese crumbles and thinly-sliced strips of the steak on top. I did heat the steak a bit, but not enough to get it to medium (it was rare--medium-rare). Dressing, bleu cheese, naturally. One of my favorite salads that I order (with beef) when I go to a restaurant near my house in Ontario.

Beef stroganoff would probably be one of the dishes I would make. Steak sandwich on a lovely fresh mini-baguette.

Last edited:
OR...instead of spending $$$ on a vacuum sealer, you can play with your food in water and end up with a very close freezer double.

How to Seal Foods Airtight Without a Vacuum Sealer

Yeah, I'm cheap...
I'm cheap too. I've tried that method. I found that for some shapes of food there will still be some small air pockets. Also, when it's sealed, you have to dry it before you put it in the freezer. That was annoying - trying to get all the moisture off the bag. I'll have to try it again some time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom