help with traveling side dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chesterchippy

Senior Cook
I'm helping to bring meals to a family who can't do cooking right now. When I did this another time I had trouble thinking of side dishes that re-heated well the next day so I usually ended up sending a fresh tossed salad. I have no problem with the main meal, just the sides. Any suggestions?

Here is one of my favorite side dishes. It reheats well and is easy to make. Because I like more crunch I double the French fried onions.

Swiss Vegetable Medley

16 oz. frozen broccoli and cauliflower combo -- thawed and drained
1 can 10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (2.8 oz.) Durkee French Fried Onions

Combine vegetables, soup, 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream, pepper, and 1/2 can Durkee French Fried Onions. Pour into a 1-quart casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer.

How about stuffed baked potatoes, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, garlic bread or garlic and cheese bread sticks (wrap them in foil to reheat).

How about a potato casserole, either with sweet or white taters?

Or a pasta salad. Make one with salami, cheese, olives and stuff you would make for an antipasto, it tastes great and has a long shelf life. They only have to toss in a bowl and serve.

A side of baked ziti with a lot of cheese and sauce. It can be turned into a main dish the next day by just nuking.

Or a hearty soup, it can be the first course the first day, and the main course the next.

As born again Southerners (we both grew up in NYC) would suggest fried okra, stewed tomatoes with/out okra (we love that stuff), a corn casserole, peas with pearl onions in a cream sauce, spinach in cream sauce with a bit of nutmeg, or cook some string beans in a stock with a ham hock.

Hope this helps.

And God bless you.

I'm interested in anything I can prepare for my family in the evening that can then be delivered to people the next day and can be microwaved with the rest of their meal. Thanks.

Baked Corn

Spray a 1 qt. casserole.

Combine:
15 oz. can of cream-style corn
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs. melted butter

Thoroughly blend in:
1 cup bread crumbs
3 Tbs. chopped onion
3 Tbs. chopped green pepper (optional, we leave it out)
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt (I use less)
1/4 tsp. pepper

Dot with butter. Bake in prepared dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown. If you double or triple do not double or triple the salt. If you do it will be way too salty. (Voice of experience speaking) This is an old recipe from the days when people ate lots more salt. Freezes and reheats beautifully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom