Cool bones :wink: Don't look if you're squeamish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
A couple days ago, I made split-pea soup with a meaty ham bone. The bone wouldn't quite fit in the slow cooker, so I got out a sharp little knife and went after it. It turned out I had the knee joint. Once I cut the tendons, it came apart and I was fascinated to see this perfect sphere.

Attachments

• 1485699000589.jpg
    1485699000589.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 164
That looks more like a hip with a ball and socket joint. I just made bean soup last night and mine was definitely a knee with the tibia and fibula on the lower and the grooved end of the femur.

That looks more like a hip with a ball and socket joint. I just made bean soup last night and mine was definitely a knee with the tibia and fibula on the lower and the grooved end of the femur.

Ah, you're right! Hip bone! DH said knee and I didn't really think about it, just put it in the pot :LOL:

Btw, the soup is very rich and full of gelatin. It's not my favorite, but he loves it :wub:

Dagnabbit. Now I have to search the depths of my chest freezer to find the meaty ham bones. Drat you, GG. Bad girl.

Oh well, was looking forward to making some red or black beans and rice. All are welcome to help us eat it! I'll make enough for 12.

Last edited:
Dagnabbit. Now I have to search the depths of my chest freezer to find the meaty ham bones. Drat you, GG. Bad girl.

Oh well, was looking forward to making some red or black beans and rice. All are welcome to help us eat it! I'll make enough for 12.

I think I might have some, too....if not, I'm pretty sure I've got some slightly meaty smoked neck bones. :yum:

Last edited:
I recently gnawed apart a bone like the one in GG's picture, and I found a disc shaped "pad" in the socket. Would that be a knee joint, or do hip joints also have that pad?

I would imagine knees and hips work similarly, and maybe even shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom