Dinner tonight, Tuesday 1/31/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some red beans, a meaty hambone, sausage, and seasonings going in the CP. So red beans and rice. And as I can tend to do with my heavy hand, it's darn spicy!

I planning chili over brown rice. I am going to try making the rice in my Instant Pot. It's supposed to only take 15 minutes under pressure as opposed to 45 minutes stovetop.

I have to run into town and do some estate stuff. Dad's on kitchen duty tonight. Hot turkey open-faced sandwiches with gravy and whatever else he can figure out if I am not back on time.

Oven crisped haddock filet with sweet potatoes, steamed broc. I was going through a file of recipes I saved, looking for something different to try. This one was from a 1994 Bon Appetit. The picture got my attention.

Got some red beans, a meaty hambone, sausage, and seasonings going in the CP. So red beans and rice. And as I can tend to do with my heavy hand, it's darn spicy!

Holy buckets. This blows the top of my head off. I kinda sorta followed a recipe, and sure hope the rice cools it down.

We had an extra ham in the garage fridge that was never made for Christmas (we weren't sure if the first one was big enough, but it was), and it was about to go past its best by date, so DW made the ham, mashed spuds, string beans, and crescent rolls.

I'm glad we served the other ham to guests asthis one was very fatty. Still, I have a lot of meat and bone leftover for soup, and a big hunk of fat to render for various dishes.

We had an extra ham in the garage fridge that was never made for Christmas (we weren't sure if the first one was big enough, but it was), and it was about to go past its best by date, so DW made the ham, mashed spuds, string beans, and crescent rolls.

I'm glad we served the other ham to guests asthis one was very fatty. Still, I have a lot of meat and bone leftover for soup, and a big hunk of fat to render for various dishes.
We grew up making a Jambalaya with left over fatty ham...it goes well with shrimp in this rice dish...

Vaca frita with tropical tuber hash by Norman Van Aken. Tubers are sweet potatoes, yuca, boniato. Veges are sauteed red, yellow, orange bell, and poblano peppers with red onions, which are then dressed with a mix of roasted garlic, sherry vinegar, parsley and cilantro. Caramelized red onions on top. Meat is fried then dressed with some of the court bouillon type liquid it was originally cooked in. Then, extra broth spooned around the plate. This is one of Craig's favorite meals (obviously since it's such a complicated and PITA meal to make :rolleyes: :LOL: ). At least it is done in stages.

37240-albums1041-picture6850.jpg

Last edited:
Great sounding dinners, all. Busy day today. I ended up with a steamed artichoke and a side of leftover fried rice from Chinese take out yesterday, with scrambled egg and sliced green onions added to it.

Klondike bar coming up. :D :yum:

Pork fried rice. It still didn't turn out very well, but I may have overdone on the Chinese 5 spice. And for all that effort I have 3 pans, a sink full of dirty dishes, and rice all over the place. I think I need a wok for this to work.

I have to run into town and do some estate stuff. Dad's on kitchen duty tonight. Hot turkey open-faced sandwiches with gravy and whatever else he can figure out if I am not back on time.
So of course Dad didn't take making super in hand. Open-faced turkey sandwiches with gravy and mashed potatoes, the rest of the squash, broccoli and a tossed salad for Dad. Mom ate all of her supper and dessert of ice cream and cookies. Of course Dad ate of of his, too. What should I do for an encore tomorrow? Mom cleaned her plate 2 days in a row....

DH is highly annoyed. I gave half of our (my) red beans and rice to our neighbor. DH looked in the container after I packed it up and put it in the fridge, and asked, "Where's the rest of it?" I told him I gave it to Blake. DH doesn't like to eat anything for more than two days, so rather than waste it, I give some away. He can go over to Blake's if he wants more leftovers.

There was enough of the vaca frita for another meal, even with leftovers for both batches, so I bagged up half the tubers in a flat layer so they could be popped straight onto a pan and put in the oven to roast some more. Bagged the rest of the broth, vege mix and dressing. I only fried half of the meat so the rest stayed in the bag it was already in. Everything went into the freezer last night and I'll put it all in a 2-gallon bag today so it doesn't get separated. All I'll have to do for another meal is heat up the tubers/veges/broth, fry the meat, and caramelize some more red onions.

Pork fried rice. It still didn't turn out very well, but I may have overdone on the Chinese 5 spice. And for all that effort I have 3 pans, a sink full of dirty dishes, and rice all over the place. I think I need a wok for this to work.

Why don't you give my recipe or 1 of the other member's recipes a whirl? We really like ours after the tweaks I made in it. And you don't need a wok. We just recently bought one but haven't used it yet. We've used a large nonstick skillet previously.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/best-fried-rice-ive-ever-had-95696.html

Unless you want LOTS of leftovers, cut everything in half. Craig usually eats 2 good sized bowls (he really likes FR) and we still have leftovers.

I usually make extra rice when I make it for another meal, bag the extra and freeze it. I try to keep 1 bag in the freezer the majority of the time. On the day you are making the FR, you can just defrost it and spread it out on a cookie sheet on paper towels to let it dry out some. One less pan to wash. And my recipe only calls for 1 pan for all the frying and maybe a couple of cutting boards if we're making special fried rice (which is what we usually make), only 1 for regular, unless we're both chopping to get things done faster.

Back
Top Bottom