Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Lemon Curd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire

Makes ≈ 2 cups

1/4 cup butter (half stick)
1 1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 medium lemons)
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
3 large whole eggs and 1 egg yolk

Melt butter in microwave in a 4 cup measuring cup (for easy pouring).

Add sugar to melted butter and stir.

Stir in lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk and lemon zest. Mix well.

Pour into 3 - 1/2 pint (8 oz.) jars (do not over fill) put lids on and turn till just tight.

Add two cups of water to inner pot. Place jars on trivet or in a steam basket.

Lock lid and set valve to sealing.

Manual button, High Pressure, 9 minutes.

When cycle beeps completed allow 10 minutes rest time (NPR). After rest time do quick release.

When pin drops remove lid and carefully remove jars to pot holders or cooling rack (DO NOT place directly on cold surface).

Open jars and stir well. Place lids back on and cool 20 minutes then refrigerate 4 hours.

Ready to go into fridge

img_1502982_0_caa56c1c7662d0c08e7b4aca670cdae6.jpg

Cooled overnight

img_1502982_1_35c423ec9b112097d179d522e8f0ac89.jpg

Added to homemade yogurt (made in the instant Pot)

img_1502982_2_551356eb850f14f0b77d3f9c53f7d9b7.jpg

Oh, that looks good. I'll have to try it in the pressure cooker, save me some whisking.

Honestly can't remember if I've ever made Lemon Curd before, think I have, way back before time began, and this looks so scrumptious!

If you don't open the jars to stir and just tighten the lids - are they sterile and will have a shelf life?

I'm an inexperienced pressure cooker so is 9 minutes from the start of rocking good?

Thank you.

No they aren't canned/preserved just cooked. Keep in fridge. Not sure how long it stays good in fridge.

I'm new at pressure cooking.

I'm an inexperienced pressure cooker so is 9 minutes from the start of rocking good?

When you say "rocking," you're talking about a stovetop pressure cooker, right? Msmofet is using an electric pressure cooker.

Btw, you cannot safely preserve anything in a pressure cooker. You need a pressure canner for that.

Thanks GG, I did not know that... so what is the difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. While I was shopping around the only difference I could tell about them was their size.

and yes, I knew msmofet was talking about an electric pressure cooker which was the reason I asked the question. I guess I was wrong to assume one would know I was talking about a stove top pressure cooker when I referred to the "rocking".

Thanks GG, I did not know that... so what is the difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. While I was shopping around the only difference I could tell about them was their size.

and yes, I knew msmofet was talking about an electric pressure cooker which was the reason I asked the question. I guess I was wrong to assume one would know I was talking about a stove top pressure cooker when I referred to the "rocking".
This has a lot of information: http://www.healthycanning.com/pressure-cookers-versus-pressure-canners/

In a nutshell, pressure cookers may not heat up or cool down evenly enough or maintain pressure properly to ensure safe canning of low-acid foods. Pressure canners have features that maintain a specific pressure for a specific period of time.

I mentioned that she has an electric pressure cooker because the rocker has no equivalent in the electric type. Times may vary because of the difference in how the electric and stovetop versions heat up.

Last edited:
That sounds good. Does it keep as long as conventional lemon curd (I know, that doesn't keep very long either!)?
I only made it once and it didn't last long. So I really can't answer the question.

Makes ≈ 2 cups

1/4 cup butter (half stick)
1 1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 medium lemons)
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
3 large whole eggs and 1 egg yolk

Melt butter in microwave in a 4 cup measuring cup (for easy pouring).

Add sugar to melted butter and stir.

Stir in lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk and lemon zest. Mix well.

Pour into 3 - 1/2 pint (8 oz.) jars (do not over fill) put lids on and turn till just tight.

Add two cups of water to inner pot. Place jars on trivet or in a steam basket.

Lock lid and set valve to sealing.

Manual button, High Pressure, 9 minutes.

When cycle beeps completed allow 10 minutes rest time (NPR). After rest time do quick release.

When pin drops remove lid and carefully remove jars to pot holders or cooling rack (DO NOT place directly on cold surface).

Open jars and stir well. Place lids back on and cool 20 minutes then refrigerate 4 hours.

Ready to go into fridge

img_1502982_0_caa56c1c7662d0c08e7b4aca670cdae6.jpg

Cooled overnight

img_1502982_1_35c423ec9b112097d179d522e8f0ac89.jpg

Added to homemade yogurt (made in the instant Pot)

img_1502982_2_551356eb850f14f0b77d3f9c53f7d9b7.jpg

27696-albums1090-picture7033.gif

Replacing pictures Photobucket are holding for ransom!

27696-albums1087-picture7039.jpg

27696-albums1087-picture7053.jpg

27696-albums1087-picture7054.jpg

People confuse a pressure cooker with a pressure canner.

Pressure cookers only cook.

My/this recipe is not pressure canned. Just cooked. You need a pressure canner to preserve/can.

Last edited:
Well...there are pressure cookers that can be used as pressure canners, it they have settings for the appropriate pressures needed. I have a small unit that I can use if I have just a few jars...that way I don't have to break out the All American.

Well...there are pressure cookers that can be used as pressure canners, it they have settings for the appropriate pressures needed. I have a small unit that I can use if I have just a few jars...that way I don't have to break out the All American.

Oh that's cool. I would love one of those. I have never canned. When I got my Instant Pot I thought I could can. But no :(.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom