St. Patrick's Day Dinner, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOW walleye, coleslaw, asparagus and wild blueberry pie. Mom cleaned her plate and had TWO pieces of pie. Everything was sooooo good.

What with the added attraction of the bars open an hour earlier, at 7am over their normal 8am, St Paddy's parade at noon in St Paul with Mpls parade at 6, so extra long happy hours of green beer in between and anticipating more to follow throughout the evening, it's a wonder people made it to work today. The cities offer free bus/light rail rides until 3am, so there's that.

We, however, wore sensible shoes and went to a late afternoon movie.

Dinner became popcorn, a shared large diet soda and a bag of M&M's we smuggled in. I may have to have a small corn beef sammie later this evening, just for a taste test.

I never did make it to the grocery store to get a corned beef and fixin's. Life got in the way and I have so much other stuff to use up, and little freezer space. Hopefully they'll still have some in a couple of days.

Tonight's dinner was lazy, and easy peasy. A steamed artichoke again (I love them!), and a sliced mango.

What movie did you see, Whisk? I've been known to sneak in a bit more than a package of M&M's. Haha.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to the store this week either, Cheryl, so no bangers and mash tonight. :huh: Arg! I should have made my mashed potato soup today! I even have Irish cheddar for it...

Himself kept reminding me all week how good my cheesy cauliflower soup tasted last time. I caved and made more. We also had tuna melts on homemade country white bread. Life is good...

Now that was the best corned beef I've ever made. I braised it in my trusty Nesco Roaster with 1/2 white wine and 1/2 water. Thanks for the tip Steve K.
I let it rest for an hr before slicing, and didn't overcook the veggies in the tasty liquid.

I used beer once and didn't like it at all!

Last edited:
Now that was the best corned beef I've ever made. I braised it in my trusty Nesco Roaster with 1/2 white wine and 1/2 water. Thanks for the tip Steve K.
I let it rest for an hr before slicing, and didn't overcook the veggies in the tasty liquid.
I used beer once and didn't like it at all!
I hunted and gathered the corned beef at the market, then turned it over to the head chef to work her magic!
Absolutely delicious:yum:

Glad you enjoyed it K! I think corned beef is so much better that way than boiling all the flavor out of it.

Since I had CB&C last night, tonight I had nacho salad. Not exactly traditional St. Paddy's fare, but I did put some green things in it - lettuce, avocados, onions, jalapeños. :lucky:

K3lFYtC.jpg

Last edited:
I made a delicious recipe from Bon Appetit. Hoisin glazed pork chops made with homemade hoisin and pan fried slowly.

Mmmm....looks good Steve!

Kay, once I went to braised from boiled, I never went back. SO much better! :yum:

Finishing up the night with a cocktail. A brandy old fashioned. It's a Wisconsin thing. I haven't had one of these since I lived in Wisconsin - almost 40 years ago.

Delicious! :yum:

f3FnPea.jpg

Dinner became popcorn, a shared large diet soda and a bag of M&M's we smuggled in. I may have to have a small corn beef sammie later this evening, just for a taste test.

Sounds like dinner here. I just finished working on photos shot today, and eating snack food while I worked. Gotta' go to bed soon, so I can get up and fly to Missouri in the morning. Then I'm off to Kansas Sunday, and possibly Orlando on Monday.

No healthy, home cooked food for me for a few days.

CD

Finishing up the night with a cocktail. A brandy old fashioned. It's a Wisconsin thing. I haven't had one of these since I lived in Wisconsin - almost 40 years ago.

Delicious! :yum:

f3FnPea.jpg

Nice! I'm having a little Vodka and cranberry night-cap here.

CD

I haven't had an Old Fashioned in nearly that long too Steve. I'm sending SC out for some Angostura bitters ASAP.
I got it along with a loaf of Jewish rye bread. Kayelle is making Rubens tonight. It was also what she ordered the first time we met:)

Back
Top Bottom