BUGS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
So how do I get rid of them?

They look like a very very light sprinkling of creamy coloured powder that you first notice on the soil of the pot. Last year, just about the same time, I noticed it on my Thyme plant I purchased from the grocer. Plant was on the kitchen window sill away from my other house plants. But I could see no motion from them and didn't know if bugs or fungus. Rather than take a chance to have whatever it was spread to the rest of the house plants I just chucked it outside.

This year I have other plants near by. Specifically some tomato seedlings I started. I don't mind to chuck the thyme or oregano but not the seedlings!

I stared at them with a magnifying glass til my eyes watered but could see no motion. Finally dusted off my father's Christmas present to me in 1957, not exactly in pristine condition but it works! My trusty microscope!

And there in all their glory, antenae and legs waving, but not moving anywhere (go figure)... BUGS!!!!!

I cannot believe my phone camera could pick up the dustings AND their legs but it did! Amazing!

SO HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM???
img_1507681_0_bcaefe95ed4f48f7b506cc80e49b0ca3.jpg

img_1507681_1_9bb5c1bd6ac2c24faa1246e4ee92cdc1.jpg

I was just getting ready to separate these seedlings and the bugs have spread to only one of them from the thyme plant... Is there any hope?
I'm not very good at this...

They look like mealybugs or aphids. Put a couple drops of dish detergent and a bit of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle with some water, and squirt. If you want to go super natural, you can also spray the heck out of the plants with the kitchen sprayer or garden hose.

I really like a product called Pyola. It's a combo of pyritherins and canola oil, and works on just about anything.

Last edited:
Thanks! I also have an orchid in the kitchen but a different window sill. Could/should I spray it as well?

I did once use the detergent/water spray a very long time ago for some tiny white and obvious live creatures on some houseplants. It was successful but I don't remember the ratio.

:LOL: I always have visions of bubble baths appearing when next I water the plants!

Does your orchid have bugs? If not, I wouldn't spray it. I usually water my orchids in the kitchen sink.

As far as plant bubble baths, you only need a couple drops of soap. The rubbing alcohol will cut down on the foaming.

Does your orchid have bugs? If not, I wouldn't spray it. I usually water my orchids in the kitchen sink.

As far as plant bubble baths, you only need a couple drops of soap. The rubbing alcohol will cut down on the foaming.

A hot bubble bath and some alcohol cures almost anything.:LOL:

We have a big problem with a similar bug just called "scale" down here. It mainly attacks our crepe myrtle trees, but spreads to plants close by. In addition to the tiny white spots, the leaves get shiny, I won't get into why -- kind of gross.

Dish soap and water works on light infestations. I use a systemic insecticide on my crepe myrtles. Because I'm not going to eat anything off of a crepe myrtle, I don't worry about it.

Another option for the true "naturalist" is ladybugs. It is like an all-you-can-eat buffet for ladybugs.

CD

You can also get old of lady bugs and add them to the plant. Or buy online bugs that eat that type of bug.

Well, that would be my second problem. I'm infested with Lady Bugs. They are squished into the window frames, behind the curtains, everywhere. Turn on a light and they come out and fly around. They bite in the fall and stink in the vacuum. So I will assume the bloody things brought their 'feast' with them.

Not my favourite bug.

I have those too, dragn. They're Asian ladybugs, imported to take care of aphids. Our regular native ladybugs don't come inside.

Yeah, I knew what they were. I watched their infestation slowly cross the maps. Never knew how bad they were until they hit my area more than 15 years ago. YECH!

Lucky us. We are surrounded by farmland, and some genius decided to import the nasty critters to eat the bugs off the soybeans. And yes, they do pinch and stink! We tried to stain the outside of the house ourselves about 15 or so years ago, and couldn't do it. They were pinching like crazy.

Thankfully this winter hasn't been as thick inside with them as in the past.

Last edited:
Bet not even muscovy's would eat them. I find they are worse in the fall. Especially on hot Indian Summer type days. I think they are looking to fatten up for the winter as they head indoors.

I have those too, dragn. They're Asian ladybugs, imported to take care of aphids. Our regular native ladybugs don't come inside.

Never heard of them before now. So far, we don't seem to have them. Our ladybugs are proper ladies -- no biting.

Another case of humans solving one problem and creating another. When will we learn that Mother Nature is smarter than we are?

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom