Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Redneck Sushi... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/redneck-sushi-97982.html)

caseydog 04-25-2017 09:18 PM

Redneck Sushi...

1 Attachment(s)
I made this a few years ago for a online fun food challenge, and came across a photo today and thought I would share it with the DC gang. It was fun, and actually really tasty.

I call it "Redneck Sushi," because of what is is made from.

Looking at the photo, the meat side is breakfast sausage, and the rice side is cooked white rice. The center is a green jalepeņo from my garden stuffed with cheese, and the red garnish is red jalepeņo from my garden. The wrapper, that would be seaweed on real sushi, is bacon.

I cooked it on my Weber Kettle, indirect heat.

I do not remember what I made for the dipping sauce. I believe it had apple cider vinegar and some soy sauce. I don't recall what else.

The photoshoot was fun, too. I used a license plate and some "redneck" chopsticks.

If you are looking for a fun and tasty party finger food, this may provide some inspiration.

CD

Cooking Goddess 04-25-2017 11:08 PM

That's pretty cool, CD, and "sushi" that I would eat. I'm not the raw fish/sticky rice/seaweed kinda fan. Breakfast sausage and cooked rice? Heck, you had me at bacon. :yum: Love the chopsticks, too. I'm much better with needle nose pliers than I could ever be with real chopsticks - I use those pliers frequently when working on crafts. And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.

dragnlaw 04-25-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1508672)
... And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.

I had a car I used to have to do that with... LOL - didn't realize it was a common affliction!

Hey Casey! thanks... and sounds delish!

LPBeier 04-25-2017 11:37 PM

CD. that was pretty ingenious! You would have been great at the old Golden Chef Competitions we did on here a few years back. One was a 7/11 challenge where you had to buy everything from a convenience store and make a gourmet 3 course meal and a beverage! There were other fun ones as well. But it was a lot of work and time that many of us didn't have.

Just Cooking 04-26-2017 09:49 AM

Way cool....and lookin tasty... :chef:

Steve Kroll 04-26-2017 10:47 AM

Very creative - I like it!

roadfix 04-26-2017 11:17 AM

Awesome recipe!

But believe it or not, some American sushi joints serve bacon sushi rolls.... :lol:

Vinylhanger 04-26-2017 08:42 PM

That looks awesome. I may have to do those on the next big holiday cook.

buckytom 04-26-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1508672)
And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.

Wow, that brings back memories. I doubt anyone under 45 years old would know how to do that. My first car, a '73 Impala, would only start if you jammed the carb and pumped the throttle.

Old folks rule!

Vinylhanger 04-26-2017 11:27 PM

And then they drool. heehee.