Zatarain's Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Mix Review!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
7142901318.ashx

From the same people that have done rice mixes for decades they have come out with a NEW set of baking mixes.

I was waking down the baking isle recently and spotted this item that I never expected they would make.

This is the first corn bread mix I have ever seen at a grocery store that says you need to add cheddar to it.

I opened up the box and see one bag of corn bread mix with specs of Jalapeno in it.

I added in the cheddar cheese, egg, milk, and melted butter and baked it off.

They say you can mix in crumbled bacon, swap out for pepper jack or Monterrey Jack cheese, or add in andouille sausage.

Around 25- 30 minutes later it was done.

You could certainly see some jalapeno bits in this cornbread.

This cornbread actually had a kick to it.

It was enough to get me a nose blow.

Cornbread flavor was solid.

I have to give this item a big thumbs up and a must try item if you can find it.

I find Zatarains way too salty for my tastes.

And Casey, a "chef" who doctors up boxed mixes might want to drop the title in such a case.

I find Zatarains way too salty for my tastes.

And Casey, a "chef" who doctors up boxed mixes might want to drop the title in such a case.

My thoughts exactly. It is no longer a Zatarain product or recipe. It is a Chef John Besh recipe. Zatarain is only supplying the seasonings mostly. And you can get them from McCormack. I am not saying that the final product tastes like a different product, but neither does it taste like the Company intended to.

Actually, I had intended to say that a person who doctors a box of a mix ain't a chef.

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the James Beard Foundation, since they were fooled into giving a James Beard Award to a guy who ain't a chef.

I also bet Mario Batali feels stupid for losing to Chef Besh on Iron Chef America. Imagine an Iron Chef's embarrassment at losing to a guy who ain't a chef.

His Zatarain's videos are clearly designed to help people jazz up (pardon the pun) boxed products at home. Chef Besh part of the movement by chefs to get people to cook at home for family and friends. Mixing boxed ingredients with fresh ingredients is a good way to ease people into cooking -- and I am sure a lot of DC members do it.

CD

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the James Beard Foundation, since they were fooled into giving a James Beard Award to a guy who ain't a chef.

I also bet Mario Batali feels stupid for losing to Chef Besh on Iron Chef America. Imagine an Iron Chef's embarrassment at losing to a guy who ain't a chef.

His Zatarain's videos are clearly designed to help people jazz up (pardon the pun) boxed products at home. Chef Besh part of the movement by chefs to get people to cook at home for family and friends. Mixing boxed ingredients with fresh ingredients is a good way to ease people into cooking -- and I am sure a lot of DC members do it.

CD

:)

I stumbled on this video tonight, and wanted to share it. It is another side of Chef John Besh that will hopefully convert some of the naysayers...CD

Immensely talented chef, not in need of any justification of his talents.. This guy can build a delightful meal using anything he prefers..

There will always be naysayers and its been my experience that many of them come from those who loudly claim that they are true foodies...

Ross

Back
Top Bottom