Spicy stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
what spicy/hot things do you most like to cook with/ add to your food.
and what do you like to add it to?
#1 for me is wasabi. i like it with sashimi and in my sushi, of course, but i also like to brush it onto steaks and mix it into mashed potatoes, etc.
#2 is Frank's hot sauce and types similar to that. i add that to macaroni and cheese sauce, dip eggs into it, add it to pierogies with butter, on cabbage and noodles, in beans and bean soup, etc.
#3 canned green chiles. i only use them once in awhile, but love them on Mexican food. they're so mild.
#4 is Chinese mustard. it has such a nice bite to it. mmmmm-mmmmmmm.:-p
BTW. someone who shall remain anonymous... we'll call her 'luv'... challenged the guys to down a shot of Tabasco with her.:ohmy: :ermm: ouch.
last time i get drunk and try to be a smart&%$.:)

With me:

#1 Banana peppers. I love just eating them straight from the jar. I dont cook with them much but I love the flavor.

#2 Jalapenos, chipotle and green salsa: I think jalapenos are versatile, flavorful and can be used in quite a few types of fusion cooking.

#3 Franks red hot, crystal, texas pete: more taste than spice which is always a good thing. If I want extra spice there's other things I can do.

#4 Habaneros: I've had a few sauces I've enjoyed with it, especially one carrot and lime based sauce from the deep south of Mexico.

#5 Poblano peppers: the only peppers I like to stuff and they make a REALLY good and slightly spicy cream of poblano soup.

#6 Wasabi: love it but I dont use it that much. Everything form Wasabi peas to a dab on sashimi.

For peppers love larger jalapenos, anaheims, or serranos to stuff for poppers. Have trouble getting too much of a variety here in the markets but grow those in the summer.

For hot sauce usually cook with crystal or texas pete, also like Franks, but for taste prefer tapatio or cholula.

Find habaneros generally too hot for anything but cooking and then use only sparingly. Although I know people who can just eat them straight. I cannot imagine a habanero ring of fire. :ohmy:

For just enjoying straight, I'll take kimchee or jalapenos in escabeche.

Love wasabi, but for some reason rarely use it.

I put TABASCO® Chipotle Pepper Sauce on everything.:)

Tabasco.png

Jalapeno flavored potato chips come to mind.

Habaneros are really tasty.

I love the Yellow Banana pepper, they grow great in my back yard.

luvs_food said:
and what do you like to add it to?
#1 for me is wasabi. i like it with sashimi and in my sushi, of course, but i also like to brush it onto steaks and mix it into mashed potatoes, etc.
#2 is Frank's hot sauce and types similar to that. i add that to macaroni and cheese sauce, dip eggs into it, add it to pierogies with butter, on cabbage and noodles, in beans and bean soup, etc.
#3 canned green chiles. i only use them once in awhile, but love them on Mexican food. they're so mild.
#4 is Chinese mustard. it has such a nice bite to it. mmmmm-mmmmmmm.:-p
BTW. someone who shall remain anonymous... we'll call her 'luv'... challenged the guys to down a shot of Tabasco with her.:ohmy: :ermm: ouch.
last time i get drunk and try to be a smart&%$.:)

LMAOOOOO I did that to a guy who lost at a game of pool against me. The poor sap went to the bathroom while I got the shots ready, tequila and tabasco. OMG.......I nearly DIED laughing at the color of his face when he took THAT shot :shock: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :excl:

luvs_food said:

1. The thai red chili from the asian store
2. chipotle
3. small mexican peppers
4. jalapenos (can't live in socal without it)
5. reduced Tabasco...yes, reduced tabasco. Try it in chicken wings.

Lately, I find myself experimenting more and more with Chipotles en Adobo. I just love the flavor.

eric said:
1. The thai red chili from the asian store

Love that stuff to death. For a long time I survived off nothing but ramen, rice and one of those bottles (the kind with the rooster, right?).

Btw I remembered my #1 favorite hotsauce of all times:

http://salsahuichol.com.mx/

004salsahuichol.jpg

You can find this and other great sauces at Mexgrocer.com

It's probably the cleanest, purest and most flavorful hotsauce I've had. The total list of ingredients is "cascabel peppers, salt, vinager, water and spices". Not a single artificial anything in there (although sometimes they will go bad). This clean taste goes especially well with seafood but it can be used for anything.

Last edited:
1 Habanero pepper cut in half and all the seeds and membrane removed.

1 small scoop of vanilla ice cream or even a sorbet you like into each half of the Habanero pepper.

Eat and Enjoy :chef:

i forgot my second favorite. thai green curry paste. i love the stuff, especially in carrot soup.

habaneros!!! i like to let them set out till they start to go soft, it helps pull all the heat out of the peppers. we make a casey's revenge sauce with them. i start out with about 5-6 pounds of habenaros. and the rest of the ingredients i can't release. but i tell ya it will open you up in a heartbeat!!!

Franks Hot Sauce. Jalapenos. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. Horshradish.

I am addicted now to some crackers I discovered at WalMart. Chipolte and Cheddar. Oh my gosh they are addicting!

I love spicy food. Unfort., DH doesn't. Well he says he does but his stomach doesn't agree with it. I think its more his tastebuds don't because if I fix something that has some spice to it he quickly tells me, "This is Spicy". And he never does complain of a stomach ache.......so that leads me to believe its his tastebuds. But maybe its a male pride thing and doesn't want to admit he can't take the heat :)......sorry guys!

i LOVE horseradish, sizz! especially on medium rare beef, ham, and mixed in large amounts into my mashed potatoes. i usually eat so much per bite of meat that i have to keep a bunch of kleenex nearby to wipe my eyes and blow my nose.
red pepper flakes are good, too, but definately not as good as horseradish. i like them on black beans.
hot stuff IS a male pride thing. (sorry, fellas, but it IS!) my brother and Dad drown things like scrambled eggs and chili in so much of the stuff it's inedible, IMO, but they insist on eating it anyway.
i was mixing up wasabi paste one day and tasted it and was like, 'whew! that's HOT!' and my Dad was like, 'oh, how hot can it be?' and kinda rolled his eyes. so i gave him a big spoonful, and he gulped it down. i laughed out loud at him when tears started rolling down his face and his voice went weak. his face turned beet-red, but yet he INSISTED it wasn't hot. kinda like the time i fed him a huge spoonful of vegemite.
5.gif

Last edited:
I'm not a big eater of hot peppers or things that are hot because of capsicum, but I do really like wasabi, garlic, horseradish & hot mustard (like you'd have on your egg rolls). Horseradish + mustard = Mmmmm!:chef:

I do like a bit of zip in my chili, but nothing too outrageous. As for wings, I sauce my wings with a mixture of 2 parts white wine, 3 parts Franks Red Hot and a TBSP of butter. I also add a touch of Cajun BBQ Magic if I have it around and a smidge of mustard for body.

I use a number of hot peppers, depending on the needed form. I always keep a bag of dried whole chile pequins in my spice cabinet that I can either toss in whole to remove later after they have given up their heat, or I can crush them up in my mortar if I want to leave them in the mix. I use a lot of cayenne in rubs, and occasionally some of the crushed chiles too. I also like fresh jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros for various uses. I like spicy foods and so I always have peppers on hand in one form or another.:chef:

i'm with you mac-jr. i drank a bottle of tobasco on a bet once. it really isn't all that hot.

along with all of the stuff everyone has mentioned, i like the thai hot sauce sriracha, aka rooster sauce that erik and lugaru were talking about. here'a a link: http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

also, stuffed italian cherry peppers (stuffed with anchovy and semolina paste, or with prosciutto and provolone), pepperoncini, thai bird chillis, macedonian hot peppers, and red savina habaneros.
oh, i can't forget coleman's hot mustard.

I almost forgot… I still have most of a bottle of a Nepalese green hot chili sauce called “Druk” that I have had 2 bottles of during the last 10 years or so. As far as I’ve been able to determine, it can’t be obtained anyplace but Nepal and Bhutan (where it’s made). My brother and sister were over there about 10 years ago on a rafting, trekking adventure and she brought me back a bottle of it. Then a friend went over there on a trek about 4 years ago and I asked him to pick me up another bottle. It cost about 80 cents U.S. I have never found any reference to it online or in any market. If it was more available, it would be pretty high on my list. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom