Scraping carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjim68

Head Chef
Is there a reason? Or do we just do it because grandma used to do it?

I just cut up some carrots to toss in a pot roast. Scraped the carrots then started wondering why.

Carrots that are washed right after harvest are usually pretty clean especially if they are smooth. Then I just cut off the top and bottom and give them sides a good scouring. If there are root hairs growing on the sides, or creases with dirt, then I peel them.

I only scrape the old dilapidated ones.

Years ago I read that most of the nutrients were near the surface, in the skin, etc... and it's less work to just wash them and toss them in.

I only scrape the old dilapidated ones.

Years ago I read that most of the nutrients were near the surface, in the skin, etc... and it's less work to just wash them and toss them in.
I don't believe that's true for carrots. The orange pigment in the most common carrots is beta carotene - it's present throughout the vegetable. Also, peeling makes it easier to remove any contamination that might be present.

"Before use, carrots should always be washed well and scrubbed with a vegetable brush. Peeling followed by rinsing is recommended for removing possible surface contamination. Following proper handling methods is imperative with home food preservation of carrots. The process should begin with washing, peeling, and then rewashing the carrots. Recommended pressure levels and processing times must always be followed when canning carrots.

"Consumer handling recommendations include washing carrots under running water and scrubbing with a clean vegetable brush. Peeling carrots can help in removing the tough to clean outer layer."

http://fsi.colostate.edu/carrot/

I do both. The younger/fresher they are I don't. But if they are older, like GG I scrape them because they tend to be more bitter/tougher.

I've always been a peeler. I don't grow my own but if I did, I'd scrub them with a brush anyway so I may as well peel them - they look more appetizing to me that way.

Sometimes I use a vegetable peeler and other times I use a scrubber side of a blue scrubber sponge.

No need to peel baby carrots. Bigger carrots I do. My 1950's potato peeler I inherited still does fine, for celery too. Hehe, it hasn't dulled after all these years.

download.jpg

Last edited:
No need to peel baby carrots. Bigger carrots I do. My 1950's potato peeler I inherited still does fine, for celery too. Hehe, it hasn't dulled after all these years.

download.jpg
Baby carrots are already peeled. It never occurred to me to peel celery, though. There's no skin - it's the same throughout.

I grow my own carrots and always peel with a vegetable peeler. No matter how much I scrub, there is always dirt in the folds of the carrot. So dirt removal is why I scrap/peel.

As kids, we would go into the house garden, yank a carrot, small celery growing, or any other veggie we fancied at the moment, wash it off with the hose, and eat it. Then get back to playing. I wasn't until I started to help my mother in the kitchen and watched her peel all the veggies that I learned to do the same.

I buy all my vegetables at the Central Farmer´s Market and thus, there are no insecticides used on these products.

I do not peel: Apples, Aubergine (Eggplant), Cucumbers, Carrots, Potatoes (I bake), Beetroot (I roast in oven).

I do peel Cardoon always & peel Celery if making tuna fish salad or chicken salad or other shell fish salads however, if just using as a cruditie, I do not peel it.

IN NON PEELED: The health benefits and anti oxidants are enormous.

I do peel & de - seed red ripe tomatoes when doing a sauce for pasta or an Andalusian gazpacho or a French Gaspacho.

For salads, I do not peel or de - seed tomatoes.

Interesting post ..

Have a lovely weekend.

Last edited:
I do peel Cardoon always & peel Celery if making tuna fish salad or chicken salad or other shell fish salads however, if just using as a cruditie, I do not peel it.

Curious. Why do you peel for a salad? I mince celery for salads. I've never noticed a problem with the outer layers.

IN NON PEELED: The health benefits and anti oxidants are enormous.

This is not true for all fruits and vegetables. The skins of bell peppers, for example, are not digestible, so no nutrients from them are absorbed by the body. There are lots of nutrients in the meat of the fruits, though.

I've never "peeled" celery, Caslon, but do you do it to get rid of the strings along the outside of the rib? I remember that as a kid, my Mom would have me de-string the tougher ribs, cracking the rib and pulling most of them out. They used to get stuck in her bridge work if they were in uncooked foods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom