Neighbours' Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
So my neighbours' (the ones just back from Europe) birthday is here. Thought I would have her (them) over for a celebration meal. Figure she deserves it as she didn't shoot me for having lost her favourite laying chicken to a hawk/fox/coyote. But with all the rich food they "suffered" through in France and Switzerland, I'm hoping to keep it "light".

Was originally thinking of a Crisp Skinned Maple Salmon with a Warm Israeli Couscous & Roasted Tomato Salad. Thinking to drop the 'maple' part of the salmon and just do my favourite simple 'Cooks Illustrated' Wood Grilled Salmon. Just love that recipe to pieces! Might replace the haricots vert in the Israeli Couscous Salad with Asparagus - but that depends on what I find at the grocers.
Actually the most complicated part would be the Rhubarb Custard Tart - new recipe I've never made... OK, so not exactly "light" with mascarpone and whipping creme... but figured the "rhubarb" would at least make it sound light..

wach'all think?
suggestions welcome... please?

Actually, come to think of it... I've never made a Sabayon either... it doesn't sound difficult - but for me under the pressure of entertaining... how easy is it to screw up?

or should I just pass on it?

Sounds amazingly wonderful ..

However, in all honesty, I would select a dessert that you have made many times, that is a favorite of your family & friends ..

Trying out a new dessert, could be quite challenging .. I would keep it simply simple.

Good luck, sounds very exciting to hear all about their trip too ..

No Bucky, not on a plank - directly on your soaked wood chips. This is from a Cooks Illustrated Cooking for Two magazine (2009? I think).

Soak your chips (cedar or alder?). Place chips directly on a purchased foil tray (you know, the ones with slits in the bottom, or make your own with a couple of sheets of foil) lay salmon fillets directly on the wood chips, skin side down.

Pat fillet dry then rub top of salmon with a bit of olive oil. Mix 3/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper together and rub evenly onto the salmon. Heat grill til hot, and cook fillets opaque and thickest part registers 125 degrees... approx 10 to 15 min. Tent loosely, rest.

To serve, gently slide spatula between the skin and the flesh... done! serve! enjoy!

I tried to put in a link but it is no longer available, sorry. But I make this several times a year on the grill - it is my all time favourite go to for salmon... so easy! If anyone needs more specifics just let me know, happy to oblige!

Thank you, that sounds delicious. DW loves cedar plank grilled salmon. I bought a few but I haven't tried them yet.

I jave a load of hickory and cherry wood chips, I wonder if those would work with this method?

I've never done any on a plank... to me it seems like a waste of money although I'm told you can sometimes get several uses. I just like the chips, you lift off the salmon - leave the skin behind on the chips - roll up the foil and toss!

In this picture I was a little skimpy on the chips. But the flavour is incredible. I've just only gotten some cherry and can't wait to try. But don't know whether to do the salmon in the smoker or on the foil.

I believe this picture was on Mesquite, but as said a little skimpy, I usually use more.
img_1512144_0_b6fc2c938f00dd3bc82a3d2c3343ce31.jpg

Dragnlaw,

Wow .. Looks amazing !

And on cherry wood, my my, it imparts incredible aromas !!

Have a wonderful time ..

Thank you, that sounds delicious. DW loves cedar plank grilled salmon. I bought a few but I haven't tried them yet.

I jave a load of hickory and cherry wood chips, I wonder if those would work with this method?

Bucky, stick with the fruit wood chips. IMO, hickory might be a little over powering used to hot smoke/grill fish.

Thanks, Craig. I'd heard that about mesquite as well. I'll try the cherry.

I used to have a beautiful, gigantic apple tree in my backyard in my old house. It was as tall as the house, and almost as wide. I wish I took some large branches from it for chips before we moved.

The new owner cut it down when they moved in. Actually, they cut down everything: junipers, hollies, rhododendrons, azaleas, a magnolia, a forsythia. They only kept a weeping cherry tree in the front yard. Seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom