How Do You Freeze and Defrost Your Foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great methods. I use these methods for basil and oil, garlic and butter or oil, and for ground beef. They thaw so much faster this way or just break off what you want while it is partially frozen and refreeze the remaining parts.

I don't freeze a lot of prepared foods. I mostly freeze raw foods. My favorite method is to vacuum seal with a Foodsaver, then freeze. I get incredible shelf life that way. If I can get things that are already individually vacuum sealed, they can go right into the freezer. I'm easily able to find fish filets and chicken already vacuum sealed, as well as pork roasts. Beef is harder to find that way, so I vacuum seal that at home.

To defrost vacuum sealed foods, you can just drop them into a pot of water. The water works as a heatsink to thaw things quickly.

CD

I still have a Miracle Thaw somewhere. I come across it every once in a while when I am rearranging my cupboards.

miracle-thaw-food-defrosting-tray-meat-defrost-platter-telebrands-metal-34b0f827e2507daf45121933e67d2e4b.jpg

Last edited:
Kenji is correct but, like CD, most of my frozen food items are raw and I use the vacuum sealer.. I vacuum seal sauces, etc. in mason jars, thaw in a bowl of warm water...

For meal leftovers, I just use small bowls with a good sealing lid and keep them where I won't forget them.. I tie those items into a meal as quickly as possible... Its been a while since I've had anything get freezer burn..

Ross

Last edited:
I identified with Kenji's suggestion to defrost on an aluminum sheet pan... I've found this technique very useful, especially when my foods have been frozen as flat as possible, be them cooked or raw.
I love my FoodSaver Vacuum Seal System, but it's more difficult for liquid/juicy products.

FoodSaver® FM2000-000 Vacuum Sealer at FoodSaver.com.

Whether you thaw on a metal tray, or in a water bath, the same thing is happening. You are using the larger mass of the tray or water as a heatsink.

If you place a frozen pouch of food on a couple of towels, which work as insulators, you'll do just the opposite -- make the food thaw slower.

Alton Brown did one of his obsessive (anal retentive) food science tests of several thawing techniques, and found that a room temperature water bath worked the best.

CD

Whether you thaw on a metal tray, or in a water bath, the same thing is happening. You are using the larger mass of the tray or water as a heatsink.

If you place a frozen pouch of food on a couple of towels, which work as insulators, you'll do just the opposite -- make the food thaw slower.

Alton Brown did one of his obsessive (anal retentive) food science tests of several thawing techniques, and found that a room temperature water bath worked the best.

CD

Really?!
I use this method for a quick thaw, especially if I want to defrost something that I vacuum sealed, like chicken or what not.
If not, then on the sheet pan it goes.
Like this afternoon when I wanted to make some sandwiches for lunch and I forgot to defrost the lunch meats that went straight to the deep freeze from the deli.
PUFF! Done ... lunch is served

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom