A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Why America’s Test Kitchen Is Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Thought some people might be interested in this.

During a recent tour of the soon-to-be former America’s Test Kitchen headquarters in Brookline, test kitchen manager Meri Lippard offered to show me the control room. “Sure,” I responded, and expected to be led into a room buzzing with video production monitors, maybe a couple sound boards, dormant boom mics, tripods.

Instead, the small, L-shaped room, adjacent to the main kitchen, was lined with a few top-opening chest freezers, and Metro racks (moveable, steel shelving) stacked with a couple dozen pressure cookers, and rows and rows of extra “common stock” ingredients—shared bags of flour, cans of tomatoes, etc.
But it’s the improbably named “control room” that best exemplifies the company’s need for new digs. To me, it appears to be a pantry. But for three weeks every spring, it becomes an actual “control room,” with blinking monitors and other equipment used to film*America’s Test Kitchen, the PBS show, in the kitchen next door.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2017/09/21/atk-brookline-photos-move-seaport/

Last edited:
What a coincidence ... I drove by their Brookline Village building this morning and I thought about way back when, when I occasionally was a taste tester for them.

I like the show better now that Bridget and Julia have taken over (after Chris Kimball was "aged" out / moved on, depending on who you ask).

DH and I were without TV for a good long time and I was unable to watch "my programs": ATK, Cook's Country, Lidia, Martha, all those cooking shows as DH calls them.
When we moved into our new home and got television back, the cable network available to us has a "TV guide" online that's not worth spit!
Just a few weeks ago, I finally found a really good guide online for our provider and got to watch my programs, now knowing what time to turn on the boob-tube.
WOW!
Gotta say the on-air crew for both ATK and Cook's Country seem so much happier, easier going, and just plain having fun at their jobs, now not being repressed by Christopher Kimball. I thought that he was much too rigid and up tight. Everyone else seemed to walking on egg shells around him.

Thanks for the link, GG. That was an interesting read. I suppose when they first started there, the location WAS state-of-the-art. Lots of miles and meals in that studio.

My favorite line was about relocating "stuff" to make room for a control room: "It's like Tetris". :LOL:

I agree. Kimball seemed to me to be mostly superfluous, never really made any material contribution to the show.
I liked him best when they dressed him up goofy, like a broccoli or something. :mrgreen:

...the cable network available to us has a "TV guide" online that's not worth spit...
We've used "TV Listings by TV24 - US TV Guide" on our mobile devises for years. Easy to use. You know, in case you're needing something else. ;)

Last edited:
...snipped ...
We've used "TV Listings by TV24 - US TV Guide" on our mobile devises for years. Easy to use. You know, in case you're needing something else. ;)

Ya know CG, oddly enough, I found our uber small town newspaper (online) has the best TV Guide for this small cable provider.
DH wants desperately to go back to DirecTv, but I veto'd that! They're horrid!
And with all of the socked-in type of weather that we get here at our new place, it wouldn't work.

Back
Top Bottom