Spiralizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Haven't been interested in these gadgets but the strategy of sticking to only whole grains hasn't been working out as well in glucose tests as I had hoped.

So looking at them again, I see a respected web site which had given the Oxo Three Blade Spiralizer it's highest rating, saying they were no longer available. Well, Amazon still sells them so mine will be delivered Monday.

Please let us know how you like the Oxo spiralizer.

I have debated about buying one or something similar.

It amazes me that the local Wegman's sells spiralized vegetables for $6.99/pound. I keep trying to convince myself that it is just the same old boring zucchini or butternut squash cut in a different shape but I'm still curious about it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've been looking in to buying one, too. I had zucchini "noodles" in a dish in a restaurant recently that was fantastic. Yeah, it wasn't pasta, but as a side dish in a vodka sauce, it made me want to try it at home.

Like Aunt Bea asked, please let us know how the OXO works.

You have to use them raw or baked in the oven. If you try to cook them in a saute pan, they will fall apart and be more like risotto. I'm talking about the spaghetti type spiralized veges. You might be able to give them a quick blanch, but that's about it. I've been throwing them on a baking sheet, drzzling with some olive oil, then S and P, and baking fairly hot 375, 400, gently stirring every 5 or so until just tender.

The ribbon spiralized veges are more forgiving about holding together, but you still have to be careful.

Oh BTs post reminded me, we tried the spaghetti type noodles in a dish that we use zuks, yellow squash, and carrots in, along with pasta. We spiralized all the veges and omitted the pasta. It was still a good dish, but both of us agreed we missed the pasta.

Last edited:
My wife bought a cheap one at Walmart and it seems to work just fine. She uses it 2 or 3 times a week, usually for zucchini. It certainly isn't something I'd spend a lot of money on when this cheap one works as well as you could possibly expect.

When Missus Dear Friend went Vegan/DF/GF about a year ago and was looking for something different, I suggested that she try Zoodles (spiralized zucchini) and she loved them. She started out with one of those cheap, handheld dealies and has progressed to, I want to say the OXO good grip model, I do recall that we found it at Bed Bath & Beyond.
She quickly sautes her veg and dresses it as you would any other pasta dish.

I've been looking in to buying one, too. I had zucchini "noodles" in a dish in a restaurant recently that was fantastic. Yeah, it wasn't pasta, but as a side dish in a vodka sauce, it made me want to try it at home.

Like Aunt Bea asked, please let us know how the OXO works.

Used mine for the first time today for zucchini & tomato sauce. Very pleased. Easy to use and clean afterward. Attaches firmly to a Formica countertop Seems like it will hold up well. The little recipe book said to just add the raw zucchini spirals to hot tomato sauce in a saute pan which worked out fine. Looking forward to using with other vegetables and in different ways. Well worth $40.

Love my spiralizer, got the inexpensive one at BBB about 5 years ago. Mom has a fancy one, uses it almost daily.

Ive had mine for a year or so and like it a lot.
I make a zucchini / carrot mix. ( the carrots add some texture to the zucchini)
Just blanch for a minute or so to heat up.

It also has an attachment so I can shred cabbage when making Sauerkraut.

Back
Top Bottom