The California Fires....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As with all disasters, it's the personal stories that are so heartbreaking to me. Just one is the story of the 100 yr old husband and his 95 yr old wife, married 70 something years who both burned to death in their home, unable to escape. Heartbreaking.
The blasted Devil Winds continue in so much of California, including here.

Even with our bay breezes, we get a smoky sunset.. This was taken by a friend..

Ross

Attachments

• Smoky Sunset.jpg
    Smoky Sunset.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 152
I saw a map of the fires yesterday and it looks like one of them is only about 6 miles north of Vallejo. Just across the water is Martinez and the oil refinery. I'm sure glad they have them as under control as they have. I can't imagine what would happen if the fires came further south.

That's a pretty pic, Ross. Unfortunately, some of the most colorful sunsets are from fires. I've had orange tinted walls in my living room from 'sunset fires' in the Sierras. :(

RR...hard to imagine if that oil refinery would have caught fire and how much worse that would have been.

Kay...I heard about that couple too, and it just breaks my heart. And that's just one of many, and there are so many more still missing. :(

Kay and SC....I've been watching the news of the horrific fires down south. Is the one in Ventura County near your home? :ohmy: Hoping and praying that you two and your home are safe!

California has had way more than our share of devastating fires the past few years. It's heartbreaking! :(

Kay and SC....I've been watching the news of the horrific fires down south. Is the one in Ventura County near your home? :ohmy: Hoping and praying that you two and your home are safe!

California has had way more than our share of devastating fires the past few years. It's heartbreaking! :(
I saw that on the news, too, Cheryl. The brother of a Facebook friend of mine lost his home; he and his wife have a new baby. Just awful.

Oh my gosh, GG....I just can't imagine. I hope they had somewhere to go - shelters are filling up quickly and many of them don't even have power. :(

I've been watching the new fires, too. I have friends and customers out there. One customer is in Ventura. This kind of thing may become more common as the years go by, if scientists are to be take even a little bit seriously. I hope people are kicking around ideas to deal with it, should it come to pass.

For now, I wish DC members out there the best of luck. These things are very hit-and-miss. I hope you get missed.

CD

This "Thomas" fire has hit way too close to home for us.
We saw it start early last night from our front yard up on the north mountain ridge here in Santa Paula. We live up next to the south mountain in this small valley town, and so far we haven't been ordered to evacuate. Only 24 hrs. since it began, and driven by the intense east wind, it has burned a path of destruction the 15 miles to the ocean in Ventura. I was raised in my beautiful Ventura and to have 27,000 people under mandatory evacuation boggles the mind when that's 25% of the population. Hundreds of homes have burned to the ground and as long as we have these predicted Devil winds, it's far from over. I'm heart sick for all my home town folk.
http://www.vcstar.com/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Last edited:
How much is fire insurance in that area per year? It must be a regretful hindsight bummer for those who opted not to carry it.

Last edited:
The Creek Fire came really close to a good friend's house yesterday. He could see the flames from his backyard. That ranch that lost 29 horses is about 1.3 miles from his home, according to Google Maps. Most of his neighbors have horses.

CD

How much is fire insurance in that area per year? It's such a bummer some opted not to carry it.
I'm sure it's pretty high if you live in a designated high fire area.
I'm not in a fire zone. My basic homeowners' policy used to run close to $3,000/year but since paying off my house about 10 years ago I opted to go without insurance. I now keep a few fire extinguishers handy....:LOL:

I'm not in a fire zone. My basic homeowners' policy used to run close to $3,000/year but since paying off my house about 10 years ago I opted to go without insurance. I now keep a few fire extinguishers handy....:LOL:

I sure hope you are just kidding. I have a hard time with people who choose not to have insurance, unless they have enough money tucked away to be self-insured.

CD

Ykies RF!! :ohmy:I've just found out that we're all in a fire zone.
It turns out that half the population of Ventura was under mandatory evacuation and most on the flat lands so not in a fire zone. There's no way I'd go without fire insurance, and our house is paid off too. Our entire home owners insurance, including fire runs about $500 a year.

Back
Top Bottom