Wine Snobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
I am ever amused - and more than a litle disgusted - by people who believe themselves true connoisuers of fine wines. Certainly there are those out there who really do have a true appreciation of the nuances of flavors among wines, but those are few and far between. Too many are self styled "experts" who use complex teminology to presumably convince we peons that they know whereof they speak.

I enjoy wine - have a small glass with most meals. I've tried the expensive ones, and the supermarket specials. What I find is the foods the wine accompanies has a great deal more to do with one's enjoyment of a wine than does its inherent quality. For example, recently I enjoyed a good Cabernet Sauvignon with an entree of beef - but something else with the dinner (I've forgotten what) made the wine almost unbearable.

Two nights ago, Chardonnay went quite well with crisp fried catfish. And last night it was good with a tostada replete with guacamole and frijoles refritos (fried with lard, of course!). But lunch today, of a nice tomato, cheese, and bassil bruschetta, enjoyed on a beautiful spring day in the garden, made the Chardonnay taste like nectar of the Gods.

So for me, the recomendations of the wine snobs are generally to be ignored: one merely needs to try a wine - regardless of price or year or recommendation: if it is liked, then enjoy it. If not, try, try again.

Last edited:
oldcoot, i know the type. :ermm:
i took a winetasting course and went in knowing 1 thing: i like wine.
i left knowing 2: i like wine and it's hard to learn when you're tipsy.
seriously, i did learn a lot, but i couldv'e picked up alittle more than i did.
the class was packed full, and i met a lot of really nice people who were all friendly. some were pretty well-versed on wine but were very subtle about it. but there was that ONE couple: they were glued at the hip, newlywed 26 year-olds, only 2 years older than myself and decades younger than the vast majority of the class, yet fancied themselves absolute experts, high and mighty, we-know-all-there-is-to-know-about-wine, experts. such experts, in fact, that when i said that a certain red we were tasting would go well with bleu cheese, the girl rolled her high and mighty eyes and informed me in an oh-so-condascending manner that you cannot eat bleu cheese with wine. (oh yeah? watch me!!!!!!:LOL: )
all this because they went to france for a honeymoon and had taken this same class once before. and i find myself thinking once again, 'if you know so much about wine, why are you in a wine tasting class?' (aren't classes for learning, or did i miss something?)
but all the older folks who really DID know wine were awesome and those who didn't had a ball. but those uptight holier than thou snoots just made fools of themselves and dipped far into my reserve of patience, lol. thier loss!:-p

I'm a "snob"...

I think I'm a "wine snob"... the bottles I buy MUST have a cork in them.

If I can twist the cap off with my fingers... I don't buy it :rolleyes:

I totally agree, oldcoot. I really like wine too and I make a recommendation if I find something I really like but I couldn't tell you what the "bouqet" consists of. I don't really pay attention to the snobs.

oldcoot, I have known these snobs. To make a point, a group of friends and I got to gether for a regular potluck years ago. The club would purchase wine (Franzia in a box) in chablis and burgundy. One of the members said OMG, wine is a box, ugh, I only drink the French wines...... The next time we got together, we used the same wine, but the hostess put the wine in decanters on all the tables. The same lady ranted and raved about the wine and how much better it was than the boxed one, what brand was it??? We never told her the truth but rather enjoyed her comupance, she was a sorority snob.

Hi Luvs, Oldcoot, and other posters, I agree totally.

Once took a tasting course and a lot of the students would go on about subtle tastes in the wine that I never could find (a tint of peach, yes, definitely peach).

At the end of the course they had a test, a blind tasting.

I won! :mrgreen: Not because I knew squat about wine, which I still don't, because I kept my responses simple, the KISS principle.

When others were getting very complex in their answers I would just write down Burgundy or something simple.

When I won I think it ticked off a lot of the students who actually thought they knew something.:angry:

As far as wine with bleu cheese, sure sounds fine to me.:)

Take care.

The club would purchase wine (Franzia in a box) in chablis and burgundy.

Well, that would probably be okay then, Norg. Boxes don't have screw caps...

Seriously, there are some "screw cap" wines that are pretty good... a Chianti is one.. but I can't remember who makes it now (Livingstone, or something like that).. I'd recognize it when I see it.

I used to use this Chianti, mostly to cook with.. and I never cook with something I won't drink... I served it with a pasta dinner to some friends and had rave compliments... I later told them it costs $7.99 for 1.5 liters :) . Made some converts that night.

luvs_food said:
i said that a certain red we were tasting would go well with bleu cheese, the girl rolled her high and mighty eyes and informed me in an oh-so-condascending manner that you cannot eat bleu cheese with wine. (oh yeah? watch me!!!!!!:LOL: )

I love Stilton with a $14 bottle of Porto....yummy. That couple don't know crap. They don't know what they are missing. Porto is good with fruit too. A decent Porto is my favorite drink. You don't have to spend more than $13-$22 for a nice Porto. Many port wines are made throughout the world but the best in my opinion is from Portugal. I like Sandeman.

Last edited:
Ok, I think that I am in the minority here. How did you all come to like/love various wines? I've tried a couple here and there (some sort of Chianti, a dessert wine, pink stuff and white stuff). As you can see, I don't have ANY knowledge of the stuff, only whether or not it tastes good.

I can handle drinking it sometimes when I'm not eating, but I actually think drinking wine ruins my meal. I've tried the whole eat a steak and have red wine thing and it just didn't do it for me. It ruined my wonderful steak, so I stopped drinking it! :sick:

Could it be because I am not used to it?? **side note, I don't drink much alcohol AT ALL due to the tasted. The few times I do drink, it's a foo foo drink that's blended. :)

htc said:
Ok, I think that I am in the minority here. How did you all come to like/love various wines? I've tried a couple here and there (some sort of Chianti, a dessert wine, pink stuff and white stuff). As you can see, I don't have ANY knowledge of the stuff, only whether or not it tastes good.

I can handle drinking it sometimes when I'm not eating, but I actually think drinking wine ruins my meal. I've tried the whole eat a steak and have red wine thing and it just didn't do it for me. It ruined my wonderful steak, so I stopped drinking it! :sick:

Could it be because I am not used to it?? **side note, I don't drink much alcohol AT ALL due to the tasted. The few times I do drink, it's a foo foo drink that's blended. :)

I agree about the Wine with Meal thing. I never drink wine with my meals. Otherwise I don't enjoy it. However I like wine wuth salty snacks,cheese,and crackers.

Here is a good guide for those who want to match food with wine.

Grapes2.gif
[font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][size=+2]Wine & Food Matching Chart[/size][/font]
Grapes.gif

[font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Food[/font][font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Preparation[/font][font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Ingredients[/font][font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Wine Ideas[/font]Soups.Cream Dry Oloroso Sherry ..StockDry RieslingFoigras..SauternesChickenGrilledLime, lemon, garlic, saltSauvignon Blanc, Semillion, Pinot Grigio, Rosè.BarbecuedSmokedBeaujolais, Cotes du Rhone Villages.BakedCream SauceChardonnay, Pinot Blanc.BakedTomato sauce w herbsBarbera, Zinfandel.RoastGarlic pepper, paprikaMerlot, Chianti, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay.FriedBatterRosè, Beaujolais.Stir FriedVegetables, ginger, soy sauceRiesling, Gewurztraminer, Chardonnay.PoachedChampagne, citrus juiceChampagne, White BordeauxTurkeyRoastedSaga, dressingPinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, ChardonnayFishGrilledCitrusSauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Sparkling wine.PoachedLight sauce, herbsDry Riesling, Champagne.SautéedBatter, Cajun styleChenin Blanc, off-dry Riesling, Sparkling wine.Pan friedLemon butterSauvignon Blanc, Chablis, Semillion, SancerreSalmonPoachedMedium herbsPinot Noir (red), Pinot Gris (white).PoachedCream sauceViognier.GrilledGlaze coating or dried herbsCabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Blanc de NoirsScallopsGrilledCitrus, butterChardonnay, sancerre, dry RieslingLobsterSteamedButterChardonnay, Sparkling wine.SteamedCitrusPouilly-fume, Sancerre, ChablisMussels, ClamsSteamedButter, garlicChardonnay, pouilly-fume, SemillionLamb LegRoastedRose' maryCabernet Sauvignon.RoastedGarlicZinfandelLamb StewbakedVegetable, herbsPinor Noir, Cabernet SauvignonSteakGrilledDried herbsSyrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, ZinfandelPork LoinRoastedHerbsChianti, ZinfandelPrime RibRoastedSalt and pepperPinot Noir, BurgundyPasta.Meat sauceChianti, Barolo, Barbera, Zinfandel..Clam sauceSauvignon Blanc..ArabiattaRosèGameRoastedMild herbsSyrah, Petite Syrah, BordeauxDuckBakedAl'orangePinot Noir, Beaujolais, Gewurztraminer.RoastedHerbsPinot Noir, ZinfandelHamburger or Meat LoafbakedHerbsYoung Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, ChiantiSteak Tar tare.HerbsBeaujolaisShort RibsbakedTomato saucePinot Noir, ZinfandelMild Cheeses..Chardonnay, RieslingMedium Cheeses..Young Pinot NoirHearty, Ripe Cheeses..Burgundy, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Port

[font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]A FEW GENERAL RULES[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Either a complement or a contrast should be considered.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]The main flavor in the main dish are usually matched to the main flavor in the wine. For example, roasted lamb leg with rosemary classically would be matched with red bordeaux. If garlic is the main flavor in the lamb, aim for a spicier wine, such as a very ripe zinfandel.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Beef isn't always prepared the same way. A spencer roast is similar to prime rib and would be complemented by a medium-framed pinot noir. However, if the roast is covered in herbs and garlic, perhaps a syrah is better.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]When in doubt, California sparkling wine and quality rosè wines are classic all-purpose matches for a wide variety of cuisine's.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]With Asian foods, keep in mind the heat and the sweetens. If the main dish is either fairly sweet or hot, choose an off-dry wine, preferably with lower alcohol, such as a German riesling.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]With salty foods, pick an off-dry wine with flowery character, such as a gewürztraminer.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Chilled dishes usually have less overt flavors and thus a delicate wine would work well. Try a pinot gris or pinot blanc from Italy.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Don't try to match wine with foods containing noticeable amounts of vinegar, such as salads, though salads with cream dressing work well.[/font]
  • [font=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Finally, in hot climates, and 90 degrees and higher is not uncommon in many states, avoid wines with high alcohol contents when dining outdoors. How about just a cold beer. Bon appetite.[/font]

I cannot tell you what wines to pair with what foods. At first I liked red wine, beaujolais, which is light, but later had my tastes set on white wine. Still to this day I dont pair my food and wine, I just eat what I like, and drink whatever wine I like, which is always pinogrigio. I used to drink Chardonnay but its heavy for me compared to pinogrigio. Im not a wine snob at all. I just have become set in my ways with what I like:)

htc said:

I don't like wine with my meals either. However I like wine with salty snacks,crackers,and cheese.

Last edited:
Hey, htc, don't feel bad because you don't like wine/alcohol. Everone's tastes differ. Remember that fool president we had a while back who didn't like broccoli? I find it delicious - when properly steamed. But I voted for him. He wasn't all bad.
(Come to think of it, he wasn't much good, either!)

oldcoot said:
Hey, htc, don't feel bad because you don't like wine/alcohol. Everone's tastes differ. Remember that fool president we had a while back who didn't like broccoli? I find it delicious - when properly steamed. But I voted for him. He wasn't all bad.
(Come to think of it, he wasn't much good, either!)

Oh yeh!.......how about creamed broccoli on toast with a glass of chardonnay.

Im trying to educate myself as a beer and spirits nerd... and killing my brain in the process. But with all seriosness I consider beer to be a more rewarding educational venture than wine. Same goes for spirits but since I've started tasting good alcohol I cant really do mixed drinks any more... geez Im becoming a snob.

i'm not a beer snob. if i have money, i buy Heineken, Guiness, Beck's Dark, or St. Pauli Girl Dk.
if i'm having wings i drink Coors light.
if i'm broke, i'll usually stick with the Coors light.

as for hard liqour, i drink Absolut or Skyy. i tend to drink it straight, so i buy top shelf. Jauquin's and Absolut are from 2 different worlds when you're drinking vodka straight. for mixed drinks, though, i don't much care.
other than that, i love captain mo and anything else my BF
recommends; he used to own a bar and went to bartending school and knows far more than me.:LOL:

I have gottin away from the watered down,flavorless american lagers and pilsners. I love the ports,amber ales,wheat beers,and stouts.

Looks like I touched a chord with this wine snob thing, didn't I? Fun!

As for booze generally, for years I drank (spirit-wise) nothing but I.W. Harper 100 proof boned - straight. It had a really nice, clean flavor and aftertaste. Real "sippin' whiskey"! Then the distillery was sold to some Japanese interest, and they blew it! Now it's tquila: Orendain Ollitas Reposado. Not available in the States - have to run down to Tijuana for it. Not expensive, but. in my opinion, as good or better than the stuff costing an arm and a leg! And I find Mexican beer - especially Carta Blanca - more to my liking than U.S. beers, which have lost all character.

Recently went to a micro-brewery for a steak dinner (great) and ordered their best lager. Unbelievable!!! No head at all, even when stirred. Indescribable taste - pure yuck!

I have a rather extensive bar at home: bourbon, whiskey, whisky, vodka, gin, tequla, mezcal, saki,.....but nobody I know drinks anymore. So I'm stuck with it! Fortunately, almost all was given to me at various times, so no investment involved. But I really don't enjoy drinking alone. So there it sits - I have a shot of tequila maybe once a week, or maybe a beer on a really hot day or with a mexican lunch.

Speaking of Portugal and Port wine, I dear friend (RIP) was on the last voyage of the Queen Mary from Lisbon. A bottle of Port was a souvenier of the voyage. Upon her demise, I inherited the Port. Some fifty or so years later. Gawd, it was awful!

Then my sister who, with her husband, lived aboard their schooner, the Gypsy Clipper, for almost 50 years. Again, on their demise, I inherited an unopened bottle of Mezcal (including the worm) some 40+ years after it was purchased during a Mexico voyage. Knowing nothing about Mezcal, I offered it to a shot to a Mexican friend, and took one myself. Yuck!

So much for aged booze!

Back
Top Bottom