Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f153/)
-   -   Babka recipe for bread machine. What? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f153/babka-recipe-for-bread-machine-what-99061.html)

JustJoel 11-12-2017 02:40 AM

Babka recipe for bread machine. What?

So, I want to make babka for a holiday dessert or brunch. I found a recipe that is complex enough to satisfy my need to spend a day in the kitchen and getting my hands ďdirty,Ē but the recipe is a little vague. It calls for ďbiga,Ē made the night before and left to stand. The biga has a cup of flour, and then the dough recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, but ďas needed,Ē and the authorís recipe doesnít include any description of the finished dough, or to add flour a tablespoon at a time to an initial two cups until the undisclosed consistency is achieved. If youíd like to see the recipe, you can find it at Chocolate Babka Bread Machine) Recipe - Genius Kitchen Maybe you can help figure this out, because it sounds delish!

letscook 11-12-2017 09:43 AM

If you don't want to use your bread machine, here one that I have made a couple of times that is good from King Arthur Flour.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-babka-recipe

JustJoel 11-12-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letscook (Post 1531409)
If you don't want to use your bread machine, here one that I have made a couple of times that is good from King Arthur Flour.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-babka-recipe

Thanks for the recipe. I’ll try it out, but right now I’m obsessed with my bread maker!

Kayelle 11-12-2017 10:11 PM

Joel, I think you're going to have to wait for a response from Rita, the author of the recipe on that website. Don't they have a messaging system there for members, like we do here?

JustJoel 11-14-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1531526)
Joel, I think you're going to have to wait for a response from Rita, the author of the recipe on that website. Don't they have a messaging system there for members, like we do here?

Not really. You can post comments, which I did, and then pray for the blogger to answer them. I went ahead and made the recipe anyway, and it came out okay, see my post below. Thanks for responding!

JustJoel 11-14-2017 11:34 AM

I made it!

Well, I ended up plunging into the deep end and making the recipe, even though it was a bit vague about shaping and ingredient amounts. Iím calling it a qualified success. The volume of dough was too much for one loaf, but not enough for two loaves, IMHO. The dough looked too sticky and moist after the first rise, so I added several teaspoons of flour, one at a time, until I thought the dough was workable, but the end result was a bit dry, perhaps too much flour? And Iíve never worked with a biga before (Iíd never heard of a biga before, and Iíve never made sourdough bread either). But itís sweet, well marbled, and imminently edible! Iím having a slice for breakfast this morning! When I figure out how, Iíll post a pic. Stay tuned! Thanks to those of you who responded!

JustJoel 11-14-2017 12:05 PM

Pics of my babka

2 Attachment(s)
So hereís the final product!

Attachment 28409 Attachment 28410

JustJoel 11-14-2017 12:09 PM

Babka filling

The dough, BTW, was so sticky, even with the added flour, that spreading the filling onto the dough was difficult. Maybe next time Iíll try some jam and nuts. And Iíll definitely be making a cheese babka!

Cooking Goddess 11-14-2017 12:59 PM

For all of your hesitancy, Joel, it looks wonderful!

I have a recipe for Sally Lunn bread that uses a 14(?) cup bundt pan. Lovely presentation, but tough to get the right shape/size slices for sandwiches. I'm going to make two loaves in 9x5 bread pans even though I'll be a cup or two short in batter to fill the pans. I had thought of buying two 8x4 loaf pans, then figured I'd rather have flatter loaves of bread rather than ones that overflow the pans or form muffin-tops. :lol:

JustJoel 11-15-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1531639)
For all of your hesitancy, Joel, it looks wonderful!

I have a recipe for Sally Lunn bread that uses a 14(?) cup bundt pan. Lovely presentation, but tough to get the right shape/size slices for sandwiches. I'm going to make two loaves in 9x5 bread pans even though I'll be a cup or two short in batter to fill the pans. I had thought of buying two 8x4 loaf pans, then figured I'd rather have flatter loaves of bread rather than ones that overflow the pans or form muffin-tops. :lol:

Thank you! It was a little dry, possibly because I added in too much flour. And I’m not gonna use a pan next time I make it; I think I’ll make a braided loaf. It’s more attractive if you’re serving it as a coffee-go-with after dinner.