Sadie Hawkins Day Dinner - 11/13/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tenspeed, you just brought back memories about the Sadie Hawkins dances. I remember those as a young teen age girl, and being so terrified at the thought of asking a boy to a dance. How things have changed. :LOL:

Dinner this evening was going to be grilled chicken, but the wind came up so I roasted it instead. Side salad.

Kay...I've been thinking of Egg Foo Young lately as well....been a while since I've made that wonderful dish!

RR, sounds like a nice comfort meal. :yum:

We dropped into a new-to-us bar and grill while we were poking around on Pine Island and driving through Matlacha (locals say "Matt-la-SHAY). We really weren't hungry, but the online reviews for Blue Dog Bar & Grill were good. Each have a beer, share an appetizer...

Three beers, a cup of black bean soup, conch bites, smoked mullet dip with blue corn tortilla chips, and three stone crab claws later...*burp* Everything was tasty. Worth a repeat visit before we leave on Friday morning, but I don't know if we'll be able to squeak out another restaurant meal after meeting up with tinlizzie tomorrow (Tuesday) and cleaning up the food we have in the refrigerator here. Maybe next time.

I drive through Matlacha every 3 months on my route. Never stopped anywhere for lunch. The way the buildings are painted, it screams to me "T" trap, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We had spicy meatball, Bahn Mi sandwiches with sriracha mayo, radish and carrot slaw.

I went to another Chef's Table event with a friend of mine - a chef demonstrates how to make several dishes and answers questions about them and we get to eat them, along with drinking wine pairings. Fun and yummy :yum:

So we had roasted oysters to start, then roasted rockfish with herbed beurre blanc and seasoned bread crumbs, puréed sweet potatoes with pecan-brown sugar topping, and lightly steamed kale salad. Apple crumble with the same pecan topping, along with caramel ice cream, for dessert.
1113171922a.jpg
1113172002a.jpg
1113172032.jpg

Last edited:
CG...wonderful road trip food - enjoy your trip and say hi to tinlizzie from us! :)

GG...your Chef's Table event sounds like fun, and the food looks soooo good. :yum:

Thanks, Cheryl! I'll really have to buckle down and cook low-cal and small meals after this feeding frenzy of a trip! :LOL: We had a great evening with tinlizzie today. It's fun to get together with fellow DCers off the boards. Much easier to share a appetizers with that way. ;)

GG, that tasting looks interesting and yummy. However, I like generous portions, so I'd probably get into something like cheese, fruit, and crackers (and wine) as soon as I got back home. :ohmy: :LOL:

I drive through Matlacha every 3 months on my route. Never stopped anywhere for lunch. The way the buildings are painted, it screams to me "T" trap, but I'm glad you enjoyed it...
It's touristy all right Craig, but it hasn't always been that way. Himself would go to a fish market with his dad back in the early 70's for fresh fish - it was on the Fort Myers side of the Matlacha Pass Bridge right before you started crossing water. I doubt if it's the "Island Seafood Market" on Pine Island Road, since that looks too new and touristy to be the place from nearly a half-century ago.

The restaurant, Blue Dog, is way more local hangout than tourist trap. Prices are reasonable, portions are good, and the place is full of regulars. If you get hungry while working out that way, you might want to give it a chance. Meanwhile, all the cool places around FMB and Fort Myers are slowly being bought out by Doc Ford. :glare:

GG, that tasting looks interesting and yummy. However, I like generous portions, so I'd probably get into something like cheese, fruit, and crackers (and wine) as soon as I got back home. :ohmy: [emoji38]
I guess I forgot to mention the brie and pimento cheese with bread and fruit (and wine) we started with and which stayed on the table throughout the meal ;)
1113171829a.jpg

Last edited:
Monday night it was tacos, last night venison liver with bacon and onions, tonight it is ham. This cooking for the Elders is pretty darn boring g.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom