Any really good pretzel recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I made some pretzels today. They weren’t inedible, but they kinda just tasted like salted bread. I could have baked the dough in a loaf pan, and just had, well, bread! Does anyone have a drop-dead recipe for soft pretzels that taste like pretzels? Or suggestions as to why my pretzels came out so bready?

The best soft pretzel recipe I had was from Alton Brown. Ill see if I can dig it up.

Its kinda like making bagels. Boil them ( bit in a baking soda solution) for a minute or so. ( thats what really gives it the pretzel taste), and then bake.

Here's the written recipe, and a video ( of someone who is theoretically following his recipe (not me). Sometimes it helps to get the visual).

I haven't made them in about a year. Its usually something I do after a sow storm, while we are stuck inside. When the kids were younger, I made them, but my pretzel shaping ability was poor, at best, so I just made long ( untwisted ) pretzels and called them snake pretzels. The kids thought they were the greatest ( cooler than regular pretzels) that to this day , at the ages of 20 and 22, they still refer to them as snake pretzels.

I got this from the internet , not my copied version that I may have made a few changes to. If I can find the recipe in my book and there are changes I made, ill post the changes.

https://altonbrown.com/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23xRkLX6I4

Last edited:
The best soft pretzel recipe I had was from Alton Brown. Ill see if I can dig it up.

Its kinda like making bagels. Boil them ( bit in a baking soda solution) for a minute or so. ( thats what really gives it the pretzel taste), and then bake.

Hmmm, DH has been asking me to make him soft pretzels ... must try! Snow is coming ... wheeeeeeee! :LOL:

I love hot, soft pretzels. Brings back memories of the boardwalk in Wildwood.

I also like Alton Brown, but his recipes are usually way too complicated for me.

The real thing involves lye, I believe. That scares me, just a bit. Not something I want to get wrong.

I'm going to watch this thread. If something good and not too difficult pops up, I may just give it a try.

CD

I love hot, soft pretzels. Brings back memories of the boardwalk in Wildwood.

I also like Alton Brown, but his recipes are usually way too complicated for me.

The real thing involves lye, I believe. That scares me, just a bit. Not something I want to get wrong.

I'm going to watch this thread. If something good and not too difficult pops up, I may just give it a try.

CD

Wildwood you say?
My husband and his family spent every Summer there and that's were we started out our honeymoon as a matter of fact!
What a blast!

Wildwood you say?
My husband and his family spent every Summer there and that's were we started out our honeymoon as a matter of fact!
What a blast!

If your husband and his family were there in the sixties, they may have passed me and my family on the boardwalk. I loved Wildwood.

So, I assume he, and you, have eaten your share of Salt Water Taffy?

CD

Last edited:
If your husband and his family were there in the sixties, they may have passed me and my family on the boardwalk. I loved Wildwood.

So, I assume he, and you, have eaten your share of Salt Water Taffy?

CD

oooohhh! love that stuff! what was the name of that company? UMMMMMM
Thank you Google
Fralinger's :yum:
I remember the box!
We took a box home to Hawaii to my parents that they were like, yeah ok that's nice... :harumph: that was the last time we brought ANYTHING back from back East for then! :LOL:

Here's the written recipe, and a video ( of someone who is theoretically following his recipe (not me). Sometimes it helps to get the visual).

I haven't made them in about a year. Its usually something I do after a sow storm, while we are stuck inside. When the kids were younger, I made them, but my pretzel shaping ability was poor, at best, so I just made long ( untwisted ) pretzels and called them snake pretzels. The kids thought they were the greatest ( cooler than regular pretzels) that to this day , at the ages of 20 and 22, they still refer to them as snake pretzels.

I got this from the internet , not my copied version that I may have made a few changes to. If I can find the recipe in my book and there are changes I made, ill post the changes.

https://altonbrown.com/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23xRkLX6I4
I haven’t watched the video yet, but those look like what I came up with; too puffy and doughy. And my pretzel-forming skills are non-existent. I like the pretzel snake idea. A lot! But aren’t they a bit difficult to boil?

I haven’t watched the video yet, but those look like what I came up with; too puffy and doughy. And my pretzel-forming skills are non-existent. I like the pretzel snake idea. A lot! But aren’t they a bit difficult to boil?

Just make them short an stubby snakes :)
They are a little puffy and doughy ( I like it that way), but the boiling gives it that tougher outer part and the baking crisps the outside up a bit.

Best pretzels I get is in Philly. By them straight from the factory ( where the people on the street get them from). I get about 100 every time I go down there.

I'm not the pretzel maker but my son, now 26 is. He would boil them, or brush them with baking soda solution (I wasn't watching), then brush with some beaten eggs or maybe just yolks, then salt with large crystal salt. Some he would add garlic butter onto them. I have no idea what he did, but oh, they were good.

Pretzel nuggets are easiest.

I gave up on pretzels, because I’m definitely not a pretzel twister. I did make some pretzel “nuggets,” though; same dough, same boiling and baking as any pretzel recipe. I shaped them like little tiny dinner rolls, and they were delicious!

I thought “these are good, how do I make them better?” So I used flat beer instead of water, and made the rolls a bit larger. They came out hard and dry. The liquid was the only thing I changed in the recipe, so I’m assuming beer’s the culprit. That seems reasonable, right?

39817-albums888-picture7182.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom