Which knife set would you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This question has probably been asked in this forum hundreds, even thousands of times! But I’m new here, so please indulge me!

I bought a really crappy knife set from Groupon. It wasn’t expensive, and the knives and clear acrylic knife block are very attractive, but they don’t hold an edge at all.

I need an inexpensive option, with the basic knives that keep their edge and are easily honed. The set must have a Santoku knife, as I prefer them to chef knives, but I don’t need any frilly stuff, like steak knives and kitchen shears. I’d love to get a Japanese forged steel set of knives, but unfortunately my budget is limited.

I’ve read many times that it’s just best to buy a universal knife block, and purchase each knife separately. I see the wisdom in that (and I wouldn’t mind doing all that Web shopping, as long as my husband and the puppies are asleep) but it seems not to be a very cost-effective option.

Any advice, links to particular products and their reviews, or just your own personal experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Go to the top of the screen, right side Advanced Search and type "What knife" and you will find many discussions on knives.;)

Joel... first of all don't waste your money on a set. Get 1 or 2 that are the type you use most, then add to that if needed. Visit a store where you can hold several good brands - how a knife fits your hand and style is just as important as the quality of the blade. You may pay a little more per knife, but you will have knives that you actually use, and you will get quality for a smaller effective outlay.

I have a Wusthof Classic 10" chef's knife that I use 90% of the time, with a couple smaller knives to fill in the gaps. That plus a Dexter Russell serrated bread knife are all I use.

Last edited:
That’s why I posted my request for knife recommendation in the “knives” forum.

I was suggesting you read some of the earlier discussions on this very same topic. The question has been answered more than once there is a wealth of information that's still valid.

Joel... first of all don't waste your money on a set. Get 1 or 2 that are the type you use most, then add to that if needed. Visit a store where you can hold several good brands - how a knife fits your hand and style is just as important as the quality of the blade. You may pay a little more per knife, but you will have knives that you actually use, and you will get quality for a smaller effective outlay.

I have a Wusthof Classic 10" chef's knife that I use 90% of the time, with a couple smaller knives to fill in the gaps. That plus a Dexter Russell serrated bread knife are all I use.

Joel, I think it's safe to say, the above quote has been the opinion of all the regulars here. If someone doesn't agree, now's the time to say so. ;)
Like you Joel, I also prefer a Santoku knife to a Chef's knife and I've never seen a set that includes one.

+10 This is the opinion of our knife gurus here on the forums and it's how I built my knife set.

I agree, and you will find many posts on the subject with a search, that a knife set is not the way to go, unless you can get the knives you really need/want for less money in a set, which is sometimes possible. Those of us who have been down that road before, a set just gets you a few knives you will use, and others that you won't use. I started 30 years ago with a set I got for Xmas, but now just have my core group of individually selected knives I like and use.

CD

I was suggesting you read some of the earlier discussions on this very same topic. The question has been answered more than once there is a wealth of information that's still valid.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin

Joel, I think it's safe to say, the above quote has been the opinion of all the regulars here. If someone doesn't agree, now's the time to say so. ;)

And That

Back
Top Bottom