Jewel Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I am in search of a recipe. A woman brought some cookies to work and we all asked for the recipe, but I lost my copy. It was called "Jewel Cake" but googling just brought up cake recipes. This was a layered cookie. I don't remember what all the layers were, but I think some type of jelly was involved. You layered it all, then sat something heavy on top of it to compress it all together, then cut it in little squares. I also think it was baked, but I'm not really sure. I know this is vague, but if someone is familiar with it, I'm sure they will recognize it from my description.....or not. LOL

I found the recipe, but I need help. I don't understand it. It's written out by hand by the woman and she probably understood what she meant, but I don't. LOL

Jewel Cake

Cream 3 sticks of oleo and add 1 1/2 C sugar, 6 egg yolks and 3 C flour. Blend til flour disappears. Fold in 6 beaten egg whites. Divide dough in 3. Butter and flour a cookie sheet with sides. Spread dough thin in pan, bake at 350 for 10-15 min. Do this to all 3 doughs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I don't understand. I am assuming I have to take each one out of the pan so I can bake the other 2. Does that sound right? How would I keep it from falling apart when I take it out? I am assuming this is a jelly roll pan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So anyway, Blend 1/2 pt sour cream and 1 C chopped nuts. Spread 1/2 of this on top of the first dough. Then spread apricot preserves on top of that. (doesn't say how much.) Place second dough on top of that, and spread with the rest of the sour cream and nuts, then spread black raspberry preserves on top, then put the last dough on top of that. Put foil over that and place a heavy object on top to press down and set overnight in refrigerator.

Icing
6 tsp oleo
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Whip oleo and vanilla, then add powdered sugar. Spread over top, and cut in squares.

I remember them being delicious, that's why we all wanted the recipe.

Thanks, Janet. The procedure does sound the same. I guess when I am ready to bake the 3 thin cake layers I should be able to tell by how much dough I have whether I should be using 13X9 pans like this recipe says, or the jelly roll pan, the way she called it a cookie sheet with sides.

Back
Top Bottom