What's on your plate tonight, 1-2-18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had spiralized celery root noodles tossed with cashew/harissa cream, topped with crispy Brussels sprout chips, fried egg, and garnished with more harissa.

Attachments

• 2018-01-02 18.29.26.jpg
    2018-01-02 18.29.26.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 166
My wife made buffalo burgers and Nathan's crinkle cut fries, but I only picked. I ate some leftovers this morning and with a stuffed nose, I couldn't tell that they had gone off a bit. I've felt a little bloated and queasy all day.

Apparently, the container of leftovers had gotten pushed to the back of the fridge a week ago when we had so many guests, and somehow made its way forward on a shelf to the front yesterday. I thought they were leftovers from a recent lunch. :ermm:

Unusually cold for our region so I thought some comfort food would be just the thing. Had a significant quantity of baked ham left from our late Christmas dinner and some potatoes to use up so...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/scalloped-potatoes-and-ham-2370170]ScallopedScalloped Potatoes and Ham was on the table. I didn't have any plain Monterey Jack cheese but I did have pepper-jack. Why not?

Turned out to be one of the best recipes I've ever prepared for this dish. Good thing, too, there's plenty left for tomorrow.

We ate until we were pretty full. Hard to leave that stuff alone on a cold, cold day.

A shrimp and spaghetti dinner from an old Pierre Franey "60 Minute Gourmet" cookbook. Sauce was canned plum tomatoes, garlic, spices, and capers. Spaghetti was fresh from the Philips pasta machine (love that stuff!). Green salad on the side.

I pulled a container of vegetable beef soup from the freezer, nuked that up, poured it into a sauce pan and simmered a small recipe of Danish egg dumplings ( same as Joy of Cooking's spätzle recipe,) only dropped into the soup by spoonfuls. Much less complicated than completing as spätzle. Tried out a loaf of crusty sour dough bread that I picked up at a bakery I've been meaning to try their breads. Very crisp crust, fragrant, but a little light on flavor.

Leftovers and pickin's here as well. A little ham, various cheeses, crackers, pickles, olives, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes. Ice cream a little later.

We had a really good Asian lunch at Jeannie's fave place... I had Teriyaki Steak, she had Orange Chicken.. Of course, they came with a spicy soup, fried rice and an egg roll..

Not hungry tonight but, when the commute traffic thins, we are going to pop into the local Denny's for a small plate of pan cakes.. I have a craving and the sweetness will take the place of dessert tonight.. Of course there will be bacon.. ;)

Ross

Had a couple of chicken carcasses in freezer. Mad stock overnight. Made chicken and dumplings just like Grandma used to. Perfect comfort food on a frigid day. Dad got a side salad. Mom fruit and cottage cheese. Banana bread for dessert.

I made a pot of chicken soup yesterday for tonight's supper. Cooked up a bag of Mrs. Miller's Amish noodles today. Everyone scooped their own bowl. It was hard to find the soup in Loverly's and Himself's bowls with all the noodles in there! :LOL:

A shrimp and spaghetti dinner from an old Pierre Franey "60 Minute Gourmet" cookbook. Sauce was canned plum tomatoes, garlic, spices, and capers. Spaghetti was fresh from the Philips pasta machine (love that stuff!). Green salad on the side.

I used to make something like that, but haven't made it in years. Good, and healthy. I need to make it, again. I didn't use capers, but that sounds pretty good.

CD

Back
Top Bottom