Dinner 1-15-2018 ~ Monday's forgotten meal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's inconceivable that no one ate; apparently, dinners sated everyone so much you were too relaxed to post? Well, better late than never.

After the trials of car shopping, Himself felt we deserved a comfort food meal at our favorite Irish Pub (O'Connor's). Started with beer - Himself had a Smithwick's while I chose a four-beer flight. We followed that up with way-generous dinners of steak-mushroom-and-Guinness-pie (me) and battered fish and chips (him). I brought 2/3 of mine home (that pie is huge!) and then ate another third. Himself brought about 1/4 of his home. Hee-hee, leftovers tomorrow! :LOL:

Sooooo.....you guys all ate, right? :huh:

I was incredibly busy today... er, yesterday, so I just made a sandwich.

I'm out of town the rest of the week, so I won't be doing any cooking. But, I'll try to post up if I eat anything good.

CD

What did Stouffer eat? :)

I had a mandarin orange, and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. Incredibly busy night at work. No time to eat.

What did Stouffer eat? :)

I had a mandarin orange, and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. Incredibly busy night at work. No time to eat.

He probably had a nice ribeye with sauteed mushrooms and onions, roasted asparagus, baby Yukon Gold - roasted and smashed with roasted garlic. Tiramisu for dessert.

Meatball sliders and macaroni salad with chopped up shrimp.

He probably had a nice ribeye with sauteed mushrooms and onions, roasted asparagus, baby Yukon Gold - roasted and smashed with roasted garlic. Tiramisu for dessert.

You are an evil temptress... Or a Jedi, since you can read my weakened mind.

Last edited:
I reverse seared a NY strip for SO and me and made mashed potatoes and a couple of veggies.

When reverse searing first became popular, I thought it was a fad as there was nothing wrong with the way I had been cooking steaks and roasts. Boy, was I wrong. I much prefer this method now. I get more consistently excellent results.

I reverse seared a NY strip for SO and me and made mashed potatoes and a couple of veggies.

When reverse searing first became popular, I thought it was a fad as there was nothing wrong with the way I had been cooking steaks and roasts. Boy, was I wrong. I much prefer this method now. I get more consistently excellent results.

If you like reverse sear, try cooking a steak sous vide, followed by a quick, hot sear.

CD

Andy and Casey Dog. When you reverse sear or SV, how/when do you season the steaks. I have read that you should not season until you are ready to sear and some say the opposite. Andy, what temp did you set your oven to? The last one I did was 190 until it reached 115. I like my steak around 125. Then I sear on a charcoal chimney by using a kabob.

We had chicken breasts in a mushroom gravy.. Rice, broccoli and a green salad, with it..

Ross

Ross, that is my kind of meal! Yum!

We had our bi-weekly Costco run last night so we met TB's brother there and ate at the food fair. We all had Polish Dogs, TB had a slice of Pizza and BIL and I had fries and gravy.

My tummy feels lousy today but it is worth it to pig out once in awhile! ;)

Ross, that is my kind of meal! Yum!

We had our bi-weekly Costco run last night so we met TB's brother there and ate at the food fair. We all had Polish Dogs, TB had a slice of Pizza and BIL and I had fries and gravy.

My tummy feels lousy today but it is worth it to pig out once in awhile! ;)
And THAT, in bold, is MY kind of meal... :yum:

Ross

Andy and Casey Dog. When you reverse sear or SV, how/when do you season the steaks. I have read that you should not season until you are ready to sear and some say the opposite. Andy, what temp did you set your oven to? The last one I did was 190 until it reached 115. I like my steak around 125. Then I sear on a charcoal chimney by using a kabob.

I get salt on my steaks as long before the cook as possible, to draw out some of the water in the meat. I've been known to salt it and put it in the fridge overnight. I do the pepper right before I seal the steaks in a Foodsaver bag. When the sous vide cook is done, I remove the steaks from the bags, and pat them dry with a paper towel before searing. Sometimes I use the charcoal chimney method, and other times I use my Searsall.

Most chefs I have heard talk about it say to salt long before cooking, if possible, for the reasons I mentioned. Removing water helps concentrate the meat flavor. Remember, what makes a juicy steak is rendered fat, not water.

CD

Most chefs I have heard talk about it say to salt long before cooking, if possible, for the reasons I mentioned. Removing water helps concentrate the meat flavor. Remember, what makes a juicy steak is rendered fat, not water.

Salting also changes the texture of the meat in a way that makes it reabsorb and hold on to some of the moisture that is released. This seasons the meat throughout, which also improves the flavor. Kenji has much more detail on this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

I don't have a sous vide, but this is the technique I use. I let it dry-brine for about an hour, typically. Sometimes I dry-brine it overnight, uncovered, to let some of the moisture evaporate.

Back
Top Bottom