One Good Pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Semon

Assistant Cook
I want a good pan I can use as a work horse for frying eggs, bacon, potatoes,steak or anything else I want to cook in it. I don't care what it is made of as long as it works and lasts for more than 6mo's?

As much as I love my cast iron pans, I'm going to toss out a suggestion of a good-quality non-stick skillet. When I want to quickly whip up a no-fuss meal, that's what I reach for. I get mine at the local restaurant supply store. They are relatively cheap there.

CD

I have several CI the last was a Lodge but it is a none stick and everything stickes to it. I was thinking of taking it to the shop and grinding it smooth and treat it like the other?

I prefer carbon steel over cast iron myself. It has similar properties to cast iron, but is lighter weight and heats up quicker.

The disadvantage, as with cast iron, is that it's not ideal for cooking acidic foods.

For a decent all-purpose pan, I would probably go with something non-stick.

The answer is going to depend upon what you cook. My workhorse is a 12" tri-ply skillet. I have a non-stick skillet, but that isn't used much for anything except eggs.

The general recommendations are not to cook acidic foods (such as tomatoes, citrus, etc.) in CI, unless it's highly seasoned, and even then the seasoning can be damaged. CI wouldn't work well for me, but it might for others.

If you go the non-stick route, ATK's favorite is a $25 T-fal pan. Non-stick pans don't last forever, so it's not worth spending a lot of money for one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucdpSmQtLY

If you are thinking about grinding a CI pan there are a bunch of youtube videos where people use a paint stripper from Home Depot to strip off the factory seasoning. I've never done it, so I can't comment on how well it works. I guess you have to decide if things you see on youtube are to be trusted.

I have two cast iron pans for frying, one 60+ old and one that is only 53 years. I thought it was older until my dad sent it a birthday card to it, because he found the receipt , it used to be his pan.

I have a full set of stainless steel pots, pans and skillets, and I have two cast iron skillets, one 8-inch and one 12-inch, but my go-to pans are the 3 pan set of non-stick aluminium frying pans I pick up at Target for around 18 bucks American. When they wear out, I just toss them in the recycle bin and go buy another set.

I have several CI the last was a Lodge but it is a none stick and everything stickes to it. I was thinking of taking it to the shop and grinding it smooth and treat it like the other?

Modern Lodge (and other brands) cast-iron is very rough. There are videos on YouTube showing how people have smoothed them out before seasoning. My raw cast-iron is antique Griswold. It is as smooth as silk.

Most of my CI is enameled, so it is smother, and doesn't need to be seasoned. It also isn't bothered by acidic foods. But, it is expensive.

Again, my go-to pan for a quick meal is a thick aluminum non-stick pan.

CD

If you are thinking about grinding a CI pan there are a bunch of youtube videos where people use a paint stripper from Home Depot to strip off the factory seasoning. I've never done it, so I can't comment on how well it works. I guess you have to decide if things you see on youtube are to be trusted.

I think the OP is talking about the roughness, not the seasoning. I have a garage full of very good tools, and I've been wanting to get a cheap Lodge skillet to experiment with. I need to just do it. An 8-inch skillet doesn't cost much.

If that Home Depot paint stripper is a chemical stripper, I wouldn't want to use it on anything I cook with.

CD

Last edited:
I have two cast iron pans for frying, one 60+ old and one that is only 53 years. I thought it was older until my dad sent it a birthday card to it, because he found the receipt , it used to be his pan.
LOL. That's the first time I've heard of a pan getting a b'day card!

If you must strip a ci skillet, a ride through the self-cleaning cycle of your oven will clean it completely. No need for harsh and possibly dangerous chemicals.

I think the OP is talking about the roughness, not the seasoning. I have a garage full of very good tools, and I've been wanting to get a cheap Lodge skillet to experiment with. I need to just do it. An 8-inch skillet doesn't cost much.

If that Home Depot paint stripper is a chemical stripper, I wouldn't want to use it on anything I cook with.

CD
There are a few videos on youtube using a paint stripper like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLV7fd0-fQ

An article on seriouseats recommends using a lye containing product, such as Easy Off oven cleaner, to remove seasoning. Handling and disposal can be problematic, though.

How to Restore Vintage Cast Iron Pans | Serious Eats

As far as the self cleaning oven method, the manufacturer of my wall oven specifically states to remove racks before running the cleaning cycle. It flashes on the control panel when the cleaning cycle is selected. Wall ovens are $6 - $8 K, replacement racks are $70, and CI pans are much less than that. Guess what I'm going to do.

The lodge pan I picked up is going to the grinder and then oil and oven we'll see how it comes out.
I'll keep you posted.

Bought a Lodge 12" skillet yesterday - $19 at Walmart. Ran it through a seasoning cycle, then pan fried a nice rib eye steak in it... I'm in love already. :yum:

P.S. I don't find the slightly rough surface to be an issue. It cooked well, cleaned up easily, and after washing in hot water and wiping with a bit of oil, it looks exactly as it it did right after I removed the labels.

Last edited:
There are a few videos on youtube using a paint stripper like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLV7fd0-fQ

An article on seriouseats recommends using a lye containing product, such as Easy Off oven cleaner, to remove seasoning. Handling and disposal can be problematic, though.

How to Restore Vintage Cast Iron Pans | Serious Eats

As far as the self cleaning oven method, the manufacturer of my wall oven specifically states to remove racks before running the cleaning cycle. It flashes on the control panel when the cleaning cycle is selected. Wall ovens are $6 - $8 K, replacement racks are $70, and CI pans are much less than that. Guess what I'm going to do.

I’m opposed To using chemicals on a pan.

As far as the oven method, it’s ok to do on my oven. If
Your oven doesn’t allow for it, you can accomplish the same in a super hot gas or charcoal grill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom