Tom Yum Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
TOM YUM SOUP

5-6 C Chicken Stock
⅓ C Galangal, sliced
2-3 Cl Garlic, crushed
2 Ea Lemon Grass, crushed
4-6 Ea Kaffir Lime Leaves, chopped
4-5 Ea Thai chilies, chopped
4 Tb Fish Sauce
2 Tb Nam Prik Pao
1 Tb Tamarind Concentrate
1 Can Straw Mushrooms, drained
¾ Lb Shrimp, peeled & butterflied OR,
¾ Lb Chicken, cubed

Combine the stock, galangal, garlic, lemon grass, lime leaves, chilies, fish sauce, nam prik pao and tamarind concentrate in a 3-4 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Discard the solids. Add the straw mushrooms to the broth and return it to a simmer.

Just before service add the shrimp and simmer momentarily. The shrimp will cook in a minute.

If you substitute cut-up white meat chicken for the shrimp, add it at the end and simmer for 3-4 minutes to cook it through.

With shrimp – Tom Yum Goong
With Chicken – Tom Yum Gai

Yum is right, I too love this soup! I've subbed gingerroot for galangal, and lime juice for the citrus. Need to hit up an Asian market (when I find one) for your authentic ingredients!

Last edited:
Kayelle, that’s a different soup. This is Tom Yum. The coconut milk version is Tom Kha. That’s also a very tasty soup. I’ll be making it later this season.

Or crab. One of the best me Yum soups that I ever had used lump crabmeat.

And thanks, Andy. I love me Yum, but I've most often made it from a jar paste. Someday I will make it from scratch using your recipe.

After beating down that wiseguy Carl Sagan, of course.

Last edited:
Or crab. One of the best me Yum soups that I ever had used lump crabmeat.

And thanks, Andy. I love me Yum, but I've most often made it from a jar paste. Someday I will make it from scratch using your recipe.

After beating down that wiseguy Carl Sagan, of course.

BT, I guess there are degrees of "scratch". The central ingredient in Tom Yum is a chili paste called nam prik pao. I buy it in a jar. No intention of making it from scratch.

Yes, I had to look that up.

I wonder if ANYONE actually makes this from scratch, terrestrially speaking, at home, even the folks that make the chili paste or fish sauce?

Thanks. I claim it as an original because it's a composite of a half dozen internet recipes.

I "create" a lot of "original" recipes that way. Maybe I should refer to it as "refining," rather than creating. :chef:

CD

Love it. But let me ask you, don't you Use Coconut Milk? Also I add baby corn.

Charlie, coconut milk would make it a different soup.

There are two soups with the same basic seasonings, Tom Kha and Tom Yum.

Tom Kha includes the addition of coconut milk. Tom Yum does not include coconut milk. You can add baby corn of pea pods, etc. if you like.

If the protein is chicken the soup would be Tom Yum Gai or Tom Kha Gai.
If the protein is shrimp the suffix is Goong in place of Gai.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom