Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Restaurant Reviews on Yelp? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/restaurant-reviews-on-yelp-99483.html)

roadfix 01-29-2018 02:28 PM

Restaurant Reviews on Yelp?

I just got done posting a 2-star review on Yelp of a place we visited last night. And I used to like this place a lot.
Any of you post restaurant reviews on Yelp or any other review sites?

I've posted both positive and negative reviews (mostly on Yelp) on restaurants I've visited. I've also posted reviews on other types of businesses as well, not just restaurants.
Just curious if any of you do this sort of thing from time to time...?

Addie 01-29-2018 03:20 PM

No I haven't. I am of the old school, "If you can't say something nice, then say nothing." The two restaurants I frequent have had five star reviews for years. So they don't really need mine.

roadfix 01-29-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1538991)
No I haven't. I am of the old school, "If you can't say something nice, then say nothing."

I subscribe to this too, for the most part, but particularly if it's regarding an individual, whether I know the person or not (except politicians).
Businesses are different. I've posted more positive reviews on these sites than negative reviews. And usually my negative reviews are constructive criticisms.

I own a small business (not food related) and I study all my not so stellar reviews and try to improve on them. I'm sure restaurant owners also find some of their negative reviews very helpful and find room for improvement.

Kayelle 01-29-2018 03:53 PM

I've posted a few positive reviews but if I ever had an important complaint I'd certainly post that too and not be quiet about it. Owners need to be aware of what's said about their business so they can fix it, or they'll soon be out of business.

Just Cooking 01-29-2018 04:04 PM

I tend toward positive reviews for businesses I'd like people to know about..
But.... I will point out negatives if something seems way off in a business I go to..

Ross

GotGarlic 01-29-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1538997)
I've posted a few positive reviews but if I ever had an important complaint I'd certainly post that too and not be quiet about it. Owners need to be aware of what's said about their business so they can fix it, or they'll soon be out of business.

And in my experience, they *want* to know so they can fix any problems.

I post reviews occasionally, usually positive but I have posted about problems a few times.

roadfix 01-29-2018 04:51 PM

Some customers are reluctant to voice complaints. They find it easier to just post them online.

CharlieD 01-29-2018 05:31 PM

with all the lawsuits going on, where businesses are suing people who posted negative reviews it is scary.

Just Cooking 01-29-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 1539012)
with all the lawsuits going on, where businesses are suing people who posted negative reviews it is scary.

I believe that there is a great difference between a negative review and a hateful review..

Those being sued, most likely, are in the latter category.. I'd hope so anyway..

Ross

caseydog 01-29-2018 06:44 PM

I sometimes post a review, especially if I really like a place. However, I am aware that Yelp is full of fake reviews, both positive reviews by friends of a business owner, or negative reviews by enemies and trolls. That's why I rarely post reviews, or trust anything I read on Yelp.

CD