Mussel & Saffron soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Picked up the Feb/Mar '18 Fine Cooking magazine. A recipe by Chef Curtis Stone looked amazing but when I read it thru - I was a bit agitated over the fact that...

... from 5 1/2 lbs of mussels he removes only 12, sets aside...

simmers the rest for 8 or 10 min... Strains the soup and DISCARDS the rest of the mussels and aromatics! :ohmy::(

It is seriously against my religion to chuck away mussels like that.

Perhaps I would sacrifice just a few and then sprinkle with a dry fish stock to make up for it?

What say the flavour gourmands here?

I sure wouldn't discard the mussels.

If the goal is to jack up the flavor, you might try adding a jar or two of clam juice to the base and reserve more of the mussels. I've done this with other seafood stews, and had good results.

I would think one needs to be very careful with the saffron dosage, it can overpower and if using wonderful sea food could kill the natural flavour.

Very true DK. It does only use "a pinch" but my pinch might be a lot different than some else.

5.5 lbs of mussels + 3 cups white wine (Riesling) + 2 cups fish stock and last - 1 cup heavy cream. Recipe serves 4.

There is also curry, sweet onion, leek and celery.

I think I would really rather taste it by someone else before I would commit to make it. I'm not very good at reducing a recipe to Serve 2. Especially a soup.

Back
Top Bottom