Can be set aside for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I'm looking at a recipe that says it can be set aside for up to 12 hours, remove from fridge 20 min prior to baking.

How do they come up with the hours something can be set aside - I'm assuming it is the ingredients that will either "separate" or.... just plain melt into each other?

The recipe I'm looking at is a Torte built out of crepes with mushroom & spinach layers, topped with a cheese sauce. The two fillings are each made with some of the cheese sauce (a cheese Mornay sauce). Baked in a 9" spring-form.

It can be completely put together then covered & refrigerated for up to 12 hrs.
I would like to make the individual sections the day before, assemble the following morning and then bake the following afternoon/evening (for a girls potluck dinner). But could I even fully assemble the evening before?

I ask because I think I have conflicting dates and my morning will not be possible for assembly, in all probability I will be getting home just in time to let the poor suffering dog out, grab the torte and jump back in the car.

What say all?

I think you could and should completely assemble it the day before and just pop it into the oven when appropriate.

If you do half earlier and finish on the day of the party, you're basically doing the same set up twice. Plus you have two cleanups.

I'm looking at a recipe that says it can be set aside for up to 12 hours, remove from fridge 20 min prior to baking.

How do they come up with the hours something can be set aside - I'm assuming it is the ingredients that will either "separate" or.... just plain melt into each other?

That's what recipe testing is for.

further to it...

I printed this recipe off from something on the internet during the times I didn't put in the link or page I got it from. I googled it this afternoon and lo-and-behold there were at least 5 or more different blogs with the recipes word for word exactly the same as mine! :LOL: cut and paste :ROFLMAO:

Plus I couldn't find any credit from any of them to another source either.. too funny! (or sad depending on how you view it)

Last but not least- :rolleyes:
a couple of them kept the same word Torte in the title then combined the fillings, used phylo or puff pastry folded up and over as a crust. To me, this is not a Torte but rather a sort of free-form Quiche. If they had even used a pie pastry crust in a tart pan then 'torte' would have been a bit more acceptable. ;)

I know what testing is for. I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that there was testing done.

I was asking the possible criteria that the test might have been based on.

I would guess that part of the criteria would be temps/ph level of ingredients, if they have been cooked prior to assembly and the overall risk of blooming bacteria or causing a foodborne illness.

In your recipe, things sound benign, especially if all cooked before assembly then chilled overnight in a fridge. Something that dense, once set up, would be fine bringing up to room temperature before blasting in the oven, and they may be thinking the internal temp will be high enough after baking, that things will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom