Honest Abe's Birthday Dinner - 2/12/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making a green chile stew and have a loaf of whole wheat bread in the oven. It's cold and windy here. Sure wish it would snow, maybe in the next few days. The ski mountain is at 20% normal snow pack which means little run off come Spring.

Brought home a couple of aged strip loins from work..smothered them in blue cheese sauce...
I find it quite amusing that once a steak starts to turn dark from aging, let's say two or three days, nobody wants to buy it. We cut fresh every day, and every once and a while, a few may not sell..We display them as long as we can, then either bring them home, or I wrap and freeze them and use them at a later date for a lunch special..usually a steak sandwich..

Attachments

• 27993853_10155152185367401_543065538_n.jpg
    27993853_10155152185367401_543065538_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
And I bet those same people willingly pay whatever a fine dining establishment charges them for "aged steaks", Roch. :LOL:

tenspeed, I remember Abe Lincoln Day when I was in grade school. He used to get his own birthday long ago. Now he's been mashed up with George, and they have to share a day that, unless the calendar falls just right, doesn't even land on George's birthday for the sake of getting a 3-day weekend. :glare: *gets off soapbox*

I had two sandwich buns to use up, so I made pressed ham and cheese sandwiches on them and served them up with a side of Progresso soup. Lazy day. :LOL:

I find it quite amusing that once a steak starts to turn dark from aging, let's say two or three days, nobody wants to buy it.
Those are exactly the steaks that I look for. ;)

The store here sells fresh cut ribeye for around $14.99 a pound. As soon as they start to turn a little dark, the price drops to $7.99. A couple of days later, they are labeled "manager special" and now sell for $5.99. That's when I snatch them up. I personally think they taste better with a little age.

SO and I had pork rib ragu over fettuccine (or maybe it was tagliatelle). Another bowl of chicken noodle soup for our under the weather granddaughter.

I always thought Dad saved those dark steaks for us.;)

Tonight we had Mac and cheese with baby peas and Honey Baked ham chunks topped with buttered Panko bread crumbs. The toaster oven and individual PP casseroles worked out perfectly.
Spinach salads on the side.

P2120079_1.jpg

I did a Dutch oven Cuban Roast Pork today. I had a little mishap removing the pork butt from the marinade, so there was much cleaning and cursing this morning.

Sides were Cuban black beans, and fried plantains.

Everything turned out great, so the meal was worth the time and effort.

CD

Attachments

• CubanPork001.jpg
    CubanPork001.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 140
Those are exactly the steaks that I look for. ;)

The store here sells fresh cut ribeye for around $14.99 a pound. As soon as they start to turn a little dark, the price drops to $7.99. A couple of days later, they are labeled "manager special" and now sell for $5.99. That's when I snatch them up. I personally think they taste better with a little age.
This is what I find interesting..people associate flavor with color..when we have fresh cut steaks beside an aged steak, we may as well forget about selling the darker one..I gladly take it home, but would rather sell it...

I read a while back that "aged" beef was actually a living cow, steer, whatever, that wasn't slaughtered until it was 4 to 5 years old. The person writing this thought it was sad that so many beef farmers couldn't afford to feed their cattle that long anymore and that most of the beef cattle slaughtered today were killed at 1 to 2 years old. He thought most people had never actually eaten an "aged" steak and were missing some of the most delicious steaks ever.

Anyhoo, I mixed some mesquite flavoring with hamburger tonight and had it with tacos. It was all right, but I doubt I'll do that again Next time I'll stick to the taco flavoring.

I test drove a refurbished car all morning so, my friend and I stopped into a diner in a small MO town..
The special was meatloaf, mashed w/gravy, green beans and a yeast roll, $6.99.. :yum:

I'm so happy to be able to drop into the little diners, spread throughout small town Missouri.. :)

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom