Blender vs. Smoothie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone know the difference between these two appliances? I make smoothie every morning for breakfast. I feel the blender isn't strong enough for everything I put in it. Does anyone own a Smoothie Mixer?

Since I use my blender everyday for breakfast, I just wondered if there was difference in cosistancy of liquid? I throw so much fresh fruit in with yogurt and different powders that is almost comes out like pudding which is hard to drink. I felt this Smoothie appliance would make it easier to drink. I do throw everything in the smoothie like I do my soup. They often ask me if I have spoon? The idea is they don't want to sit down to eat; hence, they drink all the stuff. Ishbel, you never did use yours? do you use your blender? Guess you sit down to eat your breakfast? They want to get out of here as fast as they can.

Haggis said:
There is a smoothie appliance? I always believed that a smoothie was just a type of drink...
I actually got one for xmas the other year. Didn't last very long. Its much harder to clean up and stuff. There's a built-in spigot. It was actually a lot easier to make smoothies in my old 2 speed blender.

eric said:
I actually got one for xmas the other year. Didn't last very long. Its much harder to clean up and stuff. There's a built-in spigot. It was actually a lot easier to make smoothies in my old 2 speed blender.

I just got it and that's the reason for question. I better exchange it since I haven't used it and get blender hooked up. ?Thanks for the input. I just thought would be better but not if the clean up takes forever. Not worth it. Thanks again

In the Kitchen said:
They often ask me if I have spoon? The idea is they don't want to sit down to eat; hence, they drink all the stuff.

Maybe all you need to do is throw in a little bit of fluids? Some fresh juice, on top of all the fruit. That will make it not so thick :blink:

Is the only difference between a blender and a smoothie maker just the spigot?

If so, wouldn't this be a smoothie maker?
img_105435_0_177511d1ff30b47b62067a1278110597.jpg

I have a couple of these...

chocochef that looks like a good strong one. Where did you get that? Is it hard to clean? Looks like a good one.

Thanks In the Kitchen.

I found it on Ebay. They are easy to clean. Just put water and detergent in and turn it on. It cleans itself. Then a quick rinse and you are done.

Would it be considered a smoothie maker?

Great

Are you lucky! Seems you always luck out with eBay. Good for you. I bet you can blend anything in there. Do you think I could be lucky too? I have never seen one like that. don't make them that strong. My friend tells me this is throw away society. I believe him. Look at how long the cars last? Everything plastic. The salespeople tell me it is better? I don't believe that.

Sure you can In the Kitchen!

Just do a Ebay search for a Vita Mix 4000. They always have them. They cost from $100 to $200.

They have a 850 watt motor, and are indestructible.

Last edited:
OK, glad I saw this thread. My blender is getting PRETTY tired of doing smoothies. I think I may look for one of those babies on eBay too.

OK, slightly off topic question. When we were in Florida and bought a smoothie it was...well, gross. They used ice and milk and fruit. To me a smoothie means yogurt, fruit and some milk to make it flow. Is that smoothie maker intended for the ice kind of smoothie or the yogurt kind?

Alix, if you are asking me about the Vita Mix, it can make a smoothie out of just about anything.

It can make ice cream out of ice cubes and other ingredients. It can juice vegetables and fruit. It can grind grain into flour. And it can do everything an ordinary blender can do, and reverse the blades!

Since there are no gift giving opportunities for me until my anniversary in July I would guess I won't have it for a while DARN IT! (Unless I see it REALLY cheap on eBay and buy it myself...heeheehee!)

Fix a romantic dinner with wine and candlelight, then when hubby is in a relaxed receptive mood.....ask for an early anniversary gift!

I like the way you think!! One roast beef dinner with all the trimmings coming up! Gotta find my candles now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom