Buckytom's Honey Sesame Teryaki Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
This is a recipe for Teryaki Sauce that I've made a few times now, and this is my best effort to date. It works well on grilled chicken or beef, either cut into cubes and tossed in the sauce, or brushed on skewers.
It's almost too easy to call it a recipe.

Ingredients:

1 Tsp sesame oil

1-1/2 Tbsps garlic, minced

1-1/2 Tbsps ginger, minced

1 cup lite soy sauce

1/3 cup honey

3 Tbsps dark brown sugar

1/2 Tsp black pepper

2 Tbsps sesame seeds

Directions:

In a small sauce pot, gently brown minced garlic in sesame oil over very low heat.

Next, add soy sauce, honey, ginger, dark brown sugar, and black pepper. Crank up the heat and bring to a boil, stirring to make everything dissolve.

Return heat to low and gently simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally as it reduces.

In a separate dry frying pan, lightly toast the sesame seeds.

When the sauce has thickened, stir most of the toasted sesame seeds into the sauce, reserving a good pinch to sprinkle on the chicken or beef just before serving.

:chef:

Gee, thanks everyone. Lol, I am especially good at very simple things. :)

I'm very interested in anyone's critique and tweaks/improvements.

Beth, I would fry the tofu well first, then toss in the sauce, but if ypu do it as a sort of marinade, don't thicken it as much. Leave it thin, marinade, then thicken a final extra bit for the end product.
One of my mistakes along the way was to cook raw chicken in the sauce. It was rubber chicken in a tasty sauce.

It works much better on proteins that have been pretty much fully cooked and have a good browning on them.

Some of my guinea pigs like the meat just tossed in the sauce before serving; some like it brushed on the meat and given a quick last slap on the grill to carmelize the sugars a bit.

You have to be careful with the latter as the sugar and honey burn quickly.

This sounds like something I would absolutely LOVE! :yum: Thanks so much for sharing, Bucky. I'm thinking of making it for some beef 'kabobs once this wind dies down - hopefully this week sometime. (keeping in mind the potential burn factor, as you mentioned)

Gee, thanks everyone. Lol, I am especially good at very simple things. :)

I'm very interested in anyone's critique and tweaks/improvements.

Beth, I would fry the tofu well first, then toss in the sauce, but if ypu do it as a sort of marinade, don't thicken it as much. Leave it thin, marinade, then thicken a final extra bit for the end product.
One of my mistakes along the way was to cook raw chicken in the sauce. It was rubber chicken in a tasty sauce.

It works much better on proteins that have been pretty much fully cooked and have a good browning on them.

You have to be careful with the latter as the sugar and honey burn quickly.

Thanks for the tip BT. I will fry the tofu first.

When I made this sauce the other night I made a double batch and took the rest of it(most of it) to work the next day and put a Teryaki chicken sandwich on special. I served it with grilled pineapple slices, and red onions, garlic mayo and lettuce and tomato on a soft ciabatta bun..It went well ..used it all up..

Glad to hear it.

Yeah, it's murder on a grill, that's why I kind of figured it's best put on meats that are finished cooking. More of a finishing sauce than a grill or bbq sauce.

My family doesn't like the taste of "raw" sauces on grilled meat, so I often grill them until 90% done, brush or drizzle with sauce, then grill on each side one last time to give it a bit of a cook/char.

Cleanup isn't as bad that way versus using it as a marinade and cooking it all saucy from the start.

Back
Top Bottom