How would you prepare? (Chicken)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Between posts I just received "regrets" for dinner. Not their fault, just circumstances.

Of course now, I have to get busy and do ALL those recipes because now I have only myself to please. Yeaaa! :pig::pig::pig:

Myself I would do Roasted chicken( whole or pieces with mixture of veggies like : potatoes (both white and sweet) , carrots, Brussel sprouts, parsnips little baby onions.( What ever you like) Make some gravy to go with it Add a nice garden salad some dinner rolls or some crusty bread. Simple but tasty.
You plate this on a platter and looks impressive.
Then a couple of different pies for dessert.

Last edited:
Between posts I just received "regrets" for dinner. Not their fault, just circumstances.

Of course now, I have to get busy and do ALL those recipes because now I have only myself to please. Yeaaa! :pig::pig::pig:

Though I love chicken Kiev, for myself I'd go with Andy's suggestion and make chicken Marsala. Simple, easy to make and absolutely delicious.

So although my friends could not make it I prepared a couple of pieces tonight of Chicken Marsala.

Andy, Charlie - you are absolutely right - the ease with which that comes together is a perfect choice. There is so much you can prepare ahead of time and pull it all together when needed.

I find it particularly difficult when entertaining only a couple. There is no one else to buffer the conversation for me when I get busy. Couples don't come to sit and stare at each other while I bang pots and pans. :LOL: Therefore I like to choose recipes/menus that can be prepared 80%+ in advance - or so simple I make them do it... :stuart:.

I had some frozen mash Potatoes, defrosted they were a soup - tasty but a soup. Put them in the toaster oven on "dehydrate" for 30 minutes or so. Perfect! Couple of drops of truffle oil, good beating and YUM! I was a little surprised at how well they came back, thought maybe they might be the dogs breakfast.

Here is my supper - Chicken Marsala with Truffled Mash Potatoes - fork tender, I did not even use a knife. I will make the other suggestions though, even just for me. :angel:

Attachments

• chicken marsala 1.jpg
    chicken marsala 1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 279
Pressure/fryer chicken

Does anyone happen to know the temperature that KFC uses to pressure/fryer their chicken? (original recipe) I know it takes a very short while, perhaps 10 minutes.

Plain old roast chicken, and roast potatoes carrots sweet tatters pumpkin. And peas. Home made gravy. My grandkids favourite.

Russ

When I was young there was a fashion for Chicken Maryland - chicken joints deep-fried in an egg and breadcrumb coating. My mother used to make a baked version in the oven.

Sorry, I can't give details as the recipe wasn't in her cookery note-book when I was clearing out her house after she died.

(Note to the young:- collect your favourites of your mother's recipes before she dies or confusion sets in)

Last edited:
I love stuffed chicken breasts, baked and finished with an appropriate sauce. You can make several at the same time. My favorite stuffing is duxelles, scallions, and ricotta cheese. With, of course, and mushroom sauce eithe over or under the breast. It looks even more impressive if you serve the breasts meticulously sliced.

At the top of what I would consider an elegant chicken dish, well at least time consuming with many ingredients, would be chicken in a black mole sauce. And it still is a peasant dish.

Can't have deli meats, jerky, or any kind of sausages any more. But I've been Jonesing for some kind of meat snack, so I made this.

Fried chicken drumsticks.

I started them yesterday, but was very busy and didn't have time to completely thaw the chicken. So, I made a seasoned flour:

1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tbs, salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. summer savory
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. dried tyme
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1 tbs. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground rosemary
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. seven pod dugla pepper powder
2 tbs. smoked paprika

Mix all in a 2 gallon zipper, freezer bag. Put in partially thawed chicken. Shake to coat all pieces well. Place in the fridge overnight. Fry in 360' F. oil for minutes per side. Place on foil lined cookie sheet and bake at 350' F for 20 minutes. Cool and place in freezer bag and place in fridge for when a quick protein is needed.

If you've never made bacon wrapped chicken, you have to try it. The pan drippings after the roasted chicken is done makes an amazing gravy. Add mushrooms and onion to the gravy. Simply dry a whole, cleaned chicken with paper towels. Lay stips of raw bacon on the skin to cover the whole bird. Place on a rack, in a roasting pan and bake until a meat thermometer reads 145' F. internal temp as read on a meat thermometer. Remove the bacon and increase the oven temp to 425. Continue baking until the thermometer reads 160', and the skin is browned. Remove and let rest while making the gravy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom