So I got a bunch of free shrimp the other day...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
I dont know if this is a chat thing or general cooking but I just wanted to share that I got lucky the other day. Every time me and the roomie do lawndry together we walk over to the local supermarket to browse the iles while our clothes dries. Any way's this time I was admiring the fish and telling my roomie a thing or two about cooking it (he wants to learn how to do fish) and I think the person runing the fish counter (a slightly older ethiopian lady) but she gave me a napkin with about a quarter pound of peeled, cooked coctail shrimp for me to snack on. I purchased a lime and went outside to have me a nice snack.

Lugaru said:
I lady) but she gave me a napkin with about a quarter pound of peeled, cooked coctail shrimp for me to snack on. I purchased a lime and went outside to have me a nice snack.

Niiiicee.
Shrimp USED to be my favorite food in the whole world.....until, one day, I was working in a restaurant, and making some Indian inspired grilled shrimp. And bam! I suddenly, without notice or a notorized mail, I was allergic to it.
I did some research, and it turns out, that if you work with shrimp a lot, you can develop and allergy to it. The Exec chef I was working at the time, said the same thing happened to him but it was for lobster, never allergic to the stuff..then one day...bam!
My doc said...eat one once in a while and develop and tolerance. I can eat one or two before I start feeling "strange"
:( I miss a good civeche with shrimp.

It might be a "seasonal" thing ... shellfish (oysters/clams/scallops) and shrimp/crabs/lobsters/crayfish go thru changes based on the season. It's not what you're eating per se ... it's what they have been eating .. along with where they are in their reproductive cycle.

Lugaru you lucky dog! The only thing better than snacking on some shrimp is snacking on some free shrimp.

Did the woman behind the counter recognize you or did you just totally luck out randomly?

GB said:
Lugaru you lucky dog! The only thing better than snacking on some shrimp is snacking on some free shrimp.

Did the woman behind the counter recognize you or did you just totally luck out randomly?

Completely random. 99% of the time there's some angry teenager behind the counter so I dont bother making any specific requests for my fish but well that whole shrimp deal really made my day. I cant wait to pick some up for shrimp ceviche now that Eric reminded me. Im still not entirely sure how I want to make the ceviche (there's like four different bases in my region alone ranging from clamato, boiled shirmp broth, pure lime -my fav- and even using some ketchup).

Lime also. It's a southern thing... they love their ketchup in the south like Acapulco. I mean you need to use the lime, no question about it but some people like the "juice" it's in to taste like something. For example some ceviche stands and sea food shops sell bag's of water shrimp was boiled in (the stock) since this is supposed to make the best liquid for ceviche (mixed with lime of course). I could of course cheat this by using shrimp bullion cubes. My mom was a big fan of using Clamato to flavor the liquid besides the limes, which I enjoy but I mostly use clamato for other dishes.

The problem is that I dont have any Huichol at the time, which is in my opinion the best hotsauce for seafood out there. I keep wanting to place an order on Mex grocer and I keep forgetting. My sister who's a chef in Minesota and oddly enough lives in a dense hispanic community keeps saying she will send me some but forgets to.

Lugaru said:
sea food shops sell bag's of water shrimp was boiled in (the stock) .
I try to save all my cooking water. If I don't have the room, I'll reduce it and save it.
For variations of just plain H20, try using wine or apple cider or juice to cook the shrimp in. Then save that. I used to cook mussels in (don't know if you have this over where you are) Martinellis Apple Cider.

Back
Top Bottom