Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Farina/Cream of wheat. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/farina-cream-of-wheat-99988.html)

CharlieD 04-30-2018 05:21 PM

Farina/Cream of wheat.

It is definitely grain, right?

Pretty common hot cereal item in US. But, if you grew up in Ukraine or Russia that was a staple. My mother would shove this stuff into me and I would throw up. She would make more and I would start gagging before the plate was even on the table. No matter what she added to it, be it chocolate or chocolate chips, marmalade, jam or jelly, sugar and butter. I hated it, I hated it, I hated it. I still do. My kids love it. I leave the kitchen when they make it.
Never the less here is a completely different way of making Farina. Usually you add like a teaspoon or two per a cup of milk or water, right/ This recipe calls for half a cup of Farina per cup of liquid. Preferably soup broth or I prefer liquid when I make stew. The other day I was making beef stew and I had to have this.

1 cup of stew liquid
1/2 a cup of Farina
Salt to taste

How to:

In a dry frying pan saute farina, constantly stirring until it has brownish color. Do not burn.
In the mean time bring liquid to boil. Add farina, be careful it will splatter, I usually just do it over the sink and slowly. Put it back on fire. It takes only couple of minutes to cook. Stir until all liquid is gone. Serve as a side dish like you would serve rice, or couscous couscous, or noodles, etc. I absolutely love it.
Now let's see if I can add photos.

RPCookin 04-30-2018 05:58 PM

I liked it... had it a lot for breakfasts before school during long Minnesota winters when I was growing up. Cream of Wheat and Quaker Oatmeal, both with with milk and teaspoon of sugar, were the regular hot winter breakfasts during the school week (oatmeal was a treat when I could have it with brown sugar, along with a handful of raisins that were cooked with the cereal).

Also had Cheerios and corn flakes a lot too, but cold cereals weren't as attractive when I had to stand out in below zero weather waiting for the school bus.

CharlieD 04-30-2018 05:58 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Why am I having such hard time with pictures I don't know.

I added some chicken leftovers. Cut into small pieces. Mixed in right before it was done, just long enough to warm it up.

Andy M. 04-30-2018 06:53 PM

It's kinda like grits except with wheat.

medtran49 04-30-2018 06:56 PM

Is this the dish you referred to in the congee thread? If so, they are both porridge like dishes with some kind of protein, but 1 kind is wheat based and 1 kind is rice based.

blissful 04-30-2018 06:59 PM

We ate farina as kids. It was more of a porridge consistency, wet like oatmeal, then some milk puddled on top with a little sugar.

CharlieD 05-01-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medtran49 (Post 1548657)
Is this the dish you referred to in the congee thread? If so, they are both porridge like dishes with some kind of protein, but 1 kind is wheat based and 1 kind is rice based.

Yes, this is the one I mentioned there. And yes, it is porridge.

msmofet 05-01-2018 12:57 PM

My mom made cream of wheat, farina and wheatena cereals. I loved them.

CakePoet 05-01-2018 02:07 PM

Mannagryn is the Swedish verison and I love it baked. Yes it called Mannagryns pudding and I love it with fresh fruit or jam and whipped crem.

┼landspannkaka ┼lands pancake also have farina in it and that is also a lovely dessert.

CharlieD 05-09-2018 09:59 PM

Well, this is definitely no dessert.