View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Master Chef
Read the back of the can! I grabbed my can of PAM ... basically anything that is NOT nonstick.

From what I remember from a couple of years ago when I was trying to find out why so-called non-strick sprays don't work on nonstick cookware ... it's the lecithin. On my can of PAM it's the 3rd ingredient. Somehow lecithin and something in nonstick coatings are chemical cousins - and cause the surface to actually get sticky.

If you also read the back of the can - it tells you what you can use the spray on .. basically anything not coated with a nonstick coating. It should work fine on Stainless Steel.

I just use a teaspoon of oil - wipe it around with a folded up paper towel .. get the surface "wet" and go from there.

Forget the "hype" that a spray can of non-stick oil has no calories from fat. It has "no calories from fat per serving" ... and that's because of the rounding factor and the "serving" size. A teaspoon of Crisco wiped around inside a pan and a 6-second spray of PAM have about the same number of calories from fat.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote