View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Buttermilk White Bread - part 2 - Ingredients and Measuring

The recipe Kat is using is a white loaf bread variation from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice on p.268.

The recipe makes 2 pounds of dough for 2 one-pound loaves. The dough is soft and malleable. The recipe uses the straight dough method, which simply means that all ingredients are combined (and kneaded) to make the dough. The dough has 2 rises, one in the bowl and one in the pan.

I measured the major ingredients (flour, buttermilk and fat) by weight using my scale. Salt, sugar and yeast were measured by volume.

Kat said she found the recipe as written slightly too sweet. I therefore reduced the amount of sugar somewhat but otherwise kept close to the original recipe ingredients and instructions. Here they are...

Ingredients
4-1/4 cups [19 oz] unbleached bread flour
I used Gold Medal bread flour
1-1/2 tsp [.38 oz] salt
since kosher salt is the standard salt in my kitchen, I increased the amount of salt to 2 tsp
4 tsp sugar (that's 1 TBS plus 1 tsp)
the original recipe calls for 3 TBS sugar
2 tsp [.22 oz] instant yeast
instant yeast is designed to be added directly to dry ingredients. Unlike active dry yeast, it does not have to be dissolved in water first. If you use active dry yeast, I would suggest measuring your liquid and then removing 2 TBS from the total amount. Then take 2 TBS of warm water and dissolve the active dry yeast in the water (about 5-10 minutes). Then add the dissolved yeast with the water back into your liquid. Generally, when a recipe calls for instant yeast, but you only have active dry yeast, the amount of yeast is slightly increased. One package of active dry yeast would be about right. For instant yeast, measure by the teaspoon since one package of instant yeast has slightly more than 2 tsp. However, don't agonize over the amounts. This bread is designed for fairly quick risings.
1 large egg , slightly beaten
1/4 cup [2 oz] butter, margarine, shortening or vegetable oil
I used shortening
1-1/2 cups [12 oz] buttermilk or whole milk
I used buttermilk since that is what Kat used and the whole point of this exercise is to reproduce the recipe as kat makes it in order to troubleshoot.
===================
It is important that ingredients that are normally refrigerated (the buttermilk, egg and solid fat) be allowed to come to room temperature before beginning to mix your ingredients.