ISO Asian Slaw Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
Does anyone have a good Asian slaw recipe? I was at a grill-out on Saturday night and one of the guests brought an Asian coleslaw that was quite yummy. I didnt get a chance to ask the lady for the recipe - does anyone have one? I think this would be wonderful served with grilled salmon.

:chef:

Toots, I did a Google search for "Asian slaw recipe" and was rewarded with quite a few possibilities.

You might do the same thing and compare the various recipe ingredients with what you had. You might be able to come pretty close. If not, maybe you'll find something else you'll like just as well. Good luck.

California Chinese Cole Slaw

Every time I take this somewhere, I have to take copies of the recipe. It's SO good!

Lee

California Chinese Coleslaw

1 head grated cabbage
1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, uncooked, broken into pieces
1 pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:
1 cup oil (not olive oil)
½ cup sugar
6 T. Chinese white vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder
(you can use the noodle seasoning packet in the dressing if you wish)

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.

To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

Emeril did one on his show this afternoon; you might want to check food network for it.

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!
The Elephant Walk Resataurant's Salade Cambodgienne

I love this salad at their restaurant and when I bought their cookbook, I started making it at home. It's a perfect summer salad. I make it almost once a week.

You can make it per the recipe or make it the lazier way, which I usually do.:chef:

Make the dressing according to their recipe, although you might want to sub part of the fish sauce with low sodium soy sauce. I usually use 2 parts fish sauce and 1 part soy. I also omit the shallot if I don't have any on hand. Also, you will probably not need the salt, so taste before you add it.

"DRESSING

1/4cup water
1/2cup sugar
1clove garlic, finely chopped
1small shallot, finely chopped
1/2cup Asian fish sauce
2tablespoons lime juice
2teaspoons salt.

1. In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and cook over low heat, stirring, just until it dissolves; set aside to cool.
2. Stir in the garlic and shallot and cook 30 minutes more.
3. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and salt. Mix well and set aside."

I buy a bag of cole slaw mix (wash it) and then add in whatever I feel like from this general list of goodies: shredded chicken, chopped shrimp, pressed tofu, shredded daikon or red radish, bean sprouts, julienned snow peas, red onion, scallion, cilantro, watercress, mint, thai basil, bird peppers or jalepenos, bean thread or rice noodles.

I put the goodies in a bowl, combine with dressing (amount to your taste) and let chill. It usually only stays crisp for a day or two.

The best part about it is that it can be served as a salad or used as a filling for fresh spring rolls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom