ISO: Squash Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
I tried a search on squash casserole here at DC, but the search engine doesn’t like multiple word searches and doesn’t recognize quote phrase searches. So I ended up with everything from bean casserole to squash stir-fry.

So…..does anyone have a TNT squash (yellow squash) casserole recipe. DW suddenly develop a hankering for a squash casserole and knows nothing more than it should be squash and no cheese (not that she is against cheese, but her memory of this dish did not involve cheese).

Keywords I have to work with are creamy, thick, and crusty. I’m thinking perhaps squash with a “cream of” soup, maybe bread crumbs and something else?????

Any ideas? Thanks!

Oh, keltin. I think I may have one that might fit the bill. I'll have to ferret it out though. However, I'm sure you'll get plenty more responses from others here.

Bless you! And, uh......can you fix that typo in the title of this post! I can't edit that. :LOL:

Squash Casserole

Here's mine. When I have a lot of squash, I put sliced squash and onion in a zip lock and freeze it.

Squash Casserole
6 cups summer squash, sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 can condensed cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots
8 oz package seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup melted margarine (or broth)

Cook squash onion and salt in small about of water until just tender (5 min after water boils). Drain Well. Combine undiluted soup with sour cream and carrot. Gently fold into squash. In a separate bowl, toss stuffing mix with melted butter

Grease a casserole. Layer the casserole with ½ of the stuffing mix, then the squash mixture and again with the remaining stuffing mix. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. When I have a lot of squash, I put sliced squash and onion in a zip lock and freeze it.

Squash Casserole
6 cups summer squash, sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 can condensed cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots
8 oz package seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup melted margarine (or broth)

Cook squash onion and salt in small about of water until just tender (5 min after water boils). Drain Well. Combine undiluted soup with sour cream and carrot. Gently fold into squash. In a separate bowl, toss stuffing mix with melted butter

Grease a casserole. Layer the casserole with ½ of the stuffing mix, then the squash mixture and again with the remaining stuffing mix. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Wow, that sounds good! Definitely going to make that. The addition of dressing to this is neat, and I like it! Unfortunately, DW tells me that's not how this mysterious dish went when she had it back in the Maw-Maw days. But I thank you for this and will use it! It sounds great! A definite keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
One grandma was from Mississippi, and the other was from Georgia - and they both made it the same - without a recipe! It took me a couple of years to work out - but I swear this tastes just like what they made.

The cheese was something they sometimes used - if they had it. I like it with the cheese - but it's just as good without it.

The Ritz crackers were apparently used for their buttery flavor - if they didn't have Ritz crackers they used buttered dry whole wheat bread crumbs, and I remember a few times they made it with buttered saltine crackers.

Grandmas' Summer Squash Casserole

2 Cups cooked, drained, and mashed yellow squash
2 Cups Ritz Cracker or dry Bread Crumbs
1 Cup Milk or Cream
1 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1 Cup chopped onion
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch of sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 Tablespoons Bacon drippings
3 Tablespoons Butter

Preheat oven to 350º F

Cook squash until just tender, drain well, and mash.

Heat bacon drippings in skillet and add squash. Cook until all water has been dried out. There should be no grease evident but plenty to season. Measure 2 cups of squash and reserve remainder for another use.

Melt butter in skillet and add onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is tender - do not brown butter or onion. Add milk and stir a few minutes to just warm the milk and combine with the onion and butter mixture. Remove from heat.

In mixing bowl combine squash, cracker/bread crumbs, and cheese. Add milk and onion mixture and combine well. Add salt and pepper and combine well - taste and adjust seasonings. Add eggs and combine well.

Place into a greased casserole.

May be topped with additional buttered crumbs if desired.

Bake 30 minutes covered until set. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or so until browned.

Michael….I LOVE you! You rock!! :wub:

DW says that is it! She says that the top had a crust that you cut through, and it was a buttery like a cracker crust. Once you said Ritz crackers, she fell out and started speaking in tongues…..so I’m pretty sure this is the one! All she can do at this point is drool and scream “That is it”! So I’m feeling pretty confident that this is the recipe I should try for tomorrow night (which is when she wants this).

Thanks a million! And everyone else, don’t let the thread die, this is a good place for more recipes, and I still want to see Katie’s…………….so please post it!!!

One grandma was from Mississippi, and the other was from Georgia - and they both made it the same - without a recipe! It took me a couple of years to work out - but I swear this tastes just like what they made.

The cheese was something they sometimes used - if they had it. I like it with the cheese - but it's just as good without it.

The Ritz crackers were apparently used for their buttery flavor - if they didn't have Ritz crackers they used buttered dry whole wheat bread crumbs, and I remember a few times they made it with buttered saltine crackers.

Grandmas' Summer Squash Casserole

2 Cups cooked, drained, and mashed yellow squash
2 Cups Ritz Cracker or dry Bread Crumbs
1 Cup Milk or Cream
1 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1 Cup chopped onion
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch of sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 Tablespoons Bacon drippings
3 Tablespoons Butter

Preheat oven to 350º F

Cook squash until just tender, drain well, and mash.

Heat bacon drippings in skillet and add squash. Cook until all water has been dried out. There should be no grease evident but plenty to season. Measure 2 cups of squash and reserve remainder for another use.

Melt butter in skillet and add onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is tender - do not brown butter or onion. Add milk and stir a few minutes to just warm the milk and combine with the onion and butter mixture. Remove from heat.

In mixing bowl combine squash, cracker/bread crumbs, and cheese. Add milk and onion mixture and combine well. Add salt and pepper and combine well - taste and adjust seasonings. Add eggs and combine well.

Place into a greased casserole.

May be topped with additional buttered crumbs if desired.

Bake 30 minutes covered until set. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or so until browned.

keltin said:
Michael….I LOVE you! You rock!! :wub:

DW says that is it! She says that the top had a crust that you cut through, and it was a buttery like a cracker crust. Once you said Ritz crackers, she fell out and started speaking in tongues…..so I’m pretty sure this is the one! All she can do at this point is drool and scream “That is it”! So I’m feeling pretty confident that this is the recipe I should try for tomorrow night (which is when she wants this).

Thanks a million! And everyone else, don’t let the thread die, this is a good place for more recipes, and I still want to see Katie’s…………….so please post it!!!

Well, when your family is all from the South (VA, SC, GA, MS, AL) ... and you learn to cook from your grandmas ... you remember enough to eventually figure it out. I just wish I had been older, and they had written recipes down!

If DW craves the old Southen recipes ... you might check out Southern Cooking by Mrs. S.R. (Henrietta) Dull. I know she has heped me fill in the blanks on several recipes I was trying to recreate from my childhood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom