Which brand is the very best microwave popcorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pckouris

Senior Cook
Let's see how many people will tell me which brand of microwave popcorn they think is the very best! (And why?)With great (true) butter flavor and salt and taste.

I'm not interested in the weight loss kind or other such. And or other methods.

Just great movie popcorn out of the micro wave at home, that one can buy at the supermarket.

Attachments

• 70834576261.jpg
    70834576261.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 290
I have bought microwave popcorn from the cheapest (dollar store) brand to the most expensive (orval ridenbocker) and I haven't seen or tasted anything different about any of them.

I never cared for microwavable popcorns, the ones I had were always way too salty!! We have a popcorn maker you just pour a handful of kernels and it pumps out a bowlful of hot popcorns just as quickly as the nukable version!! We love this gadget!:rolleyes:

I just buy a good organic popcorn, put it in a paper bag, moisten the bag under cold running water, and nuke. Be careful not overcook or it will burn.

I like the Act III popcorn, regular style. My husband loves the Orvil Redenbacher cheese flavor...it has a packet of goo to squeeze over the top.

After much experimenting with microwave popcorn I decided I liked Orville Redenbacher's Lite best, but it was still too salty for my taste, so I went back to the old method.

America's Test Kitchen just did this in their "Tasting Corner" segment last Saturday (at least it just aired where I live) Tasting Microwave Popcorn. For those who don't care to read the results ... Paul Newman's Own (the original stuff) came in as the top "microwave" popcorn ... his "organic" version came in down at the bottom.

Personally - I like the Act III ...

Well, thanks everyone. I am still testing. And thanks Robert in Fort Worth for that site. I went to it and saved for later reading.
But you guys know what? I live in Marathon, Florida, The Florida Keys! And Wilma ran through here real good! Last night we had a power loss. I have hurricane lamps etc. and had them ready for use.
But my dilema was how was I going to make my microwave popcorn to pass away the night! I broke out my popcorn pot (with a nice thick bottom) put a little oil in in and heated it up on my gas range top. I used microwave popcorn Publix Theater Butter. I cut open the bag and with a spatula scrapped out all of the popcorn and "butter" or what ever tht stuff is, out and into the pot. Covered it and let it go with a good shake along the way.
Well what a terrific suprise!!! All of corn popped! All of the corn was huge! And it tasted better than anything I had ever had before!!! When I want popcorn I am going to do it this way again just to make sure to see if comes out this good again.
You adventurists might want to try this little "test" to see how you come out with it. If any of you do let me know! It was sure worth it because I wouldn't have had my fix of popcorn at all!

LOL Great story, Pete. The things we'll do to satisfy our taste for something makes for some great reading. =P

I am not a huge fan of microwaved popcorn, it's usually way too salty for me. And I dislike the buttered kind for the same reason. It's just too much.

Paul's "Natural" is ok and there's one other that makes a "light" one that's not horrible, I think that brand is PopSecret.

I'm still a fan of my air-popper though and that's they way I prefer to cook it over any other. That way I get to control what goes on top of it.

:heart:
Z

This has been my micro popcorn of choice lately....ACT II Kettle Corn Old Fashioned Sweet and Salty Popcorn.

Well, Kids, guess what? I tried the "microwave popcorn" trick cooked in my popcorn pot, and it worked again. Terrific! The corn was all popped and Large! So Maybe I just will buy regular jar popcorn and use my pot next time. But that is a little difficult to do at work, so I guess I will have to keep some microwave corn on hand for that.
Thanks for all of your help and opinions!

My wife eats all the popcorn here. Through trial and error (they were eaten, anyway), she let me know that she only likes Orville Redenbacher's Movie Theater Butter brand (I do all the cooking and grocery shopping). Luckily, our Costco has it in bulk, and I get 36 packets for under $6.

Back
Top Bottom