Bolognese Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Bolognese Sauce

2 tablespoons evoo
1 small onion minced
1 carrot minced
1 celery stalk
¼ cup minced bacon
½ lb sausage
½ lb beef
¾ cup dry white wine
6 large tomatoes
1 cup stock
1 cup cream

Saute onion, celery, and bacon with evoo till tender over med heat.

Add beef and sausage. Cook till no longer red. Add wine and raise heat a little bit. Cook off most of the liquid.

Add tomatoes and stock. Turn heat to low. After about an hour season with salt and pepper. Cook another hour till much of the liquid is gone.

Add cream and cook another 15 - 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Looks goog, GB. I use veal and sausage along with shiitakes and porcinis in my version.

That sounds great too Andy. I am not a fan of mushrooms yet (but I am trying hard to learn to like them), but I love veal. I will have to try adding that next time around.

GB, couple of questions...what are the amounts represented by the A with the thingy over top? And what kind of sausage do you use? Do you crumble the sausage meat or do you dice it up?

Yum!

I'd probably cook the tomatoes with the wine, though. This is one recipe where white wine and tomatoes marry beautifully.

Alix, I am not sure why it came out like that. It did not show up that way originally. Anyway, I have edited it to read the right way.

I always double or even triple this recipe as it freezes very well and my wife would probably shot me in the head if I did not make a ton. I swear if she could divorce me to marry this sauce she would. She has eaten a bowl of just the sauce for dinner before (or course if she finds out I just divulged that fact then she really will divorce me :LOL:)

Jenny, I will have to try that next time. I will be nervous to mess with such a good thing, but you make a very good point so I think it will be worth the risk.

Um...correct me if I'm wrong GB, but didn't she join up here some time ago? :angel: Not that I would ever send her a link to this thread or anything. LOL.

Thanks for correcting the amounts. And about the sausage? What kind and do you crumble it or chop it up?

A with the thingy over top?
The upper character to the left of the number one key is a tilde. Don't ask me how I know that.

GB, I am so glad you don't add sugar. I thought I was the only one not to add sugar to my sauces.

If I were adding sausage, I'd crumble and saute in a separate pan especially if it tends to be oily then drain and add to the sauce..
kadesma

Alix, yes she is a member, but probably has not logged on in over a year so I am pretty safe unless someone blabs ;)

I use regular hot Italian sausages, crumbled like the beef.

Jeekinz, I am with ya. I do not like sugar in my sauces. This sauce has plenty of sweetness from the carrots and cream anyway.

Thanks GB! Can't IMAGINE anyone blabbing! ;)

I'm going to give this one a go this week I think. I have a ton of tomatoes that I need to use up and I don't want to use them all in salsa.

One thing that is not listed in the recipe is that I now either skin the tomatoes or I run them through a food mill. Otherwise you end up with little bits of rolled up skin in the sauce. If you are not picky then you wouldn't care, but Iron Chef would slam my knuckles with a cleaver if I served something like that to him :angel:

YOW! That doesn't sound like fun! I think ironchef has a pretty wicked cleaver too!

Thanks for the tip. Do you just blanch them for a minute or two and peel the skins off that way?

If you are not picky then you wouldn't care, but Iron Chef would slam my knuckles with a cleaver if I served something like that to him :angel:

Oh GB I'm hurt. :cry:

I wouldn't slam your knuckles with anything. I might just say a wise *** remark like, "Hey, I guess you're going the textural route huh? Do we get served a side of dental floss with this too?"

Nah, seriously I wouldn't. I'm happy and appreciative when other people cook for me since it's so rare anymore. :dry:

GB, the recipe sounds wonderful. I'm gonna have to try it.

Little off topic but I need to know: IC, and the rest of you, do you find that since people know you are profficient in the kitchen, that they are afraid to invite you to try their food, as they think they won't measure up? I have that problem. I really don't look down my nose on other people's cooking, and only offer advice if asked. I like other variations other than my own, and find that I can learn something from nearly anyone. I have learned treasures of info from a lady who made the worst pancakes on the planet. But could she ever make an excellent goat stew. Another thing I learned from a different lady was that baking soda can be used to tenderize the meat. But it needs to be completely washed out of the meat before cooking to avoid imparting a nasty flavor. The lady who I refer to didn't wash it off, and indeed, sprinkled it on while grilling the beef. It was terrible tasting, but tender.

And so, I glean from others both what to do, and what not to do.

Oh, and just for the record, I can't remember anything GB has ever posted that was something "not to do". GB, you're one of the valued resources around here.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Bolognese Sauce

2 tablespoons evoo
1 small onion minced
1 carrot minced
1 celery stalk
¼ cup minced bacon
½ lb sausage
½ lb beef
¾ cup dry white wine
6 large tomatoes
1 cup stock
1 cup cream

You call that Bolognese sauce? I don't see no baloney in it!

Little off topic but I need to know: IC, and the rest of you, do you find that since people know you are profficient in the kitchen, that they are afraid to invite you to try their food, as they think they won't measure up?

Maybe, but it feels like it's because it's expected of me.

It's always:

"So, are you cooking tonight?"
"What are you going to cook?"
"I don't feel like eating out. Can you cook something?"
"Dinner is at 6:30. Are you coming early to cook?"

Yeh, I know. I even get it at work, especially if there's a pot luck coming up, and at our church as well. It does become expected. I was even chastized for not being the cook one year at our anual church pancake breakfast. I was told that it wasn't to happen again.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom